Why demos and box swapping make me happier than buying

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some interesting points . as you know we had a wonderful hi fi show in the uk where folks bought along their own kit and set it up for all to hear . absolutely great day for all and shows that demo`s can be great

http://www.thehifishow.com/gallery.html

one point this person makes

“The tendency of keeping up with the Joneses tends to be more pronounced for material goods than for experiential purchases,” says Gilovich. “It certainly bothers us if we're on a vacation and see people staying in a better hotel or flying first class. But it doesn't produce as much envy as when we're outgunned on material goods"

its so easy to fall into this materialistic trap and needs to be avoided if possible

It's an interesting one! I have long thought adaptation and the addictive element of Hi Fi is often down played. And yet is it investing in a thing or experiences? Listening to music on Hi Fi is an experience especially with friends around!? It's the experience of listening to music that I enjoy and wouldn't have your patience to tramp round expos and demos!! Fair play to you for doing it..

Very interesting. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but I don't disagree either. All up, very interesting.

some interesting points . as you know we had a wonderful hi fi show in the uk where folks bought along their own kit and set it up for all to hear . absolutely great day for all and shows that demo`s can be great

http://www.thehifishow.com/gallery.html

one point this person makes

“The tendency of keeping up with the Joneses tends to be more pronounced for material goods than for experiential purchases,” says Gilovich. “It certainly bothers us if we're on a vacation and see people staying in a better hotel or flying first class. But it doesn't produce as much envy as when we're outgunned on material goods"

its so easy to fall into this materialistic trap and needs to be avoided if possible

I think the materialistic trap is one thing, and the adaptation another. You have been a box swapper though, so you should know (Though you have stuck to your Summit X for 3 years now). Like I said before, the kind of hifi systems we build is really not required to listen to music. Check the people on gramophone records forum, they are really into their classical, and usually have much less gear. Not saying that we are not into music, obviously we are, but there are other things at play in swapping gear, and I am just saying to myself I am embracing that all out, so better to swap and demo till I am tired

I
I think the materialistic trap is one thing, and the adaptation another. You have been a box swapper though, so you should know (Though you have stuck to your Summit X for 3 years now). Like I said before, the kind of hifi systems we build is really not required to listen to music. Check the people on gramophone records forum, they are really into their classical, and usually have much less gear. Not saying that we are not into music, obviously we are, but there are other things at play in swapping gear, and I am just saying to myself I am embracing that all out, so better to swap and demo till I am tired
I checked the gramophone forum as you made the same comment before, and expected to find mainly discussions on classical music, with maybe minor discussions on equipment, when lo and behold, I came across a thread discussing (of all things) USB cables, and differences, if any, with the same kinds of viewpoints expressed in this forum. Made me smile!

You may swap and demo till you're tired, and may well conclude in the end that you have no interest in Audiophilia, and decide that all you need is one of the fine systems made by Bose, which is perfectly okay as long as you listen to music. I think you are interested in music, are you not? Even if there is no Lampizator in the chain? :)

Of course I am interested in music, but that is a different interest. I satisfy that by going to live shows and over YouTube. Audiophilia is not to be confused with my interest in music, though there is a relation, with each one furthering the other. But let's be clear, I can enjoy music on both a krell and an AR, though I will change and upgrade purely for audiophilia

For me, I find my audio hobby to be like an adventure. Not so much about the gear but rather about the journey and getting there. It's a great experience and just when I think I have everything figured out, I have new experiences.

An example would be a new artist or song.

Another example would be a new component that I audition.

Either is an experience in it of itself, it's a journey. Yes, it might not be like going on vacation or swimming with sea turtles, but to me, I enjoy it nonetheless. And that's all that matters.

For me, it's the experience of listening to music that is important, not a continuous swapping of boxes, etc., that's just buying "things" over and over. The point of buying a good system is to listen to music in the best way one can at home. Of course, going out to listen to music is also a great experience.

Well said Steve and I totally agree.

With all due respect to others who disagree, box swapping MAY be a sign of audio neurosis and an insistent need for a new "flavor of the month".

Having said that, the article does bring out some valid points regarding unique life experiences versus relying on "material stuff' to give one the same sense of purpose and satisfaction.

GG

Last edited:
For me, it's the experience of listening to music that is important, not a continuous swapping of boxes, etc., that's just buying "things" over and over. The point of buying a good system is to listen to music in the best way one can at home. Of course, going out to listen to music is also a great experience.

That's pretty much what the article is saying. The experience (listening to music) is more important than the act of buying things. Don't forget, listening to music can be achieved in many ways - many of which involve the purchse of nothing!. Audio shows, friends houses, live shows, free concerts...............

I think it is all important and enjoyable. Both the journey and the music.

That's pretty much what the article is saying. The experience (listening to music) is more important than the act of buying things. Don't forget, listening to music can be achieved in many ways - many of which involve the purchse of nothing!. Audio shows, friends houses, live shows, free concerts...............

I know. But buying is not bad if it is not continual box swapping, as it allows the musical experience to occur, which is what the OP said he preferred. To me, box swapping and not settling in with a purchased system is the antithesis of the article, as it becomes about the things. Capice?

I know. But buying is not bad if it is not continual box swapping, as it allows the musical experience to occur, which is what the OP said he preferred. To me, box swapping and not settling in with a purchased system is the antithesis of the article, as it becomes about the things. Capice?

Not really, it becomes about the experience and geekery of tweaking things. My main point is that audiophilia and music are two different hobbies, though related. My audiophile hobby enjoys the experience of swapping (not buying and settling with a box as per the adaptation point made in the article). My music hobby is fed by other experiences

Last edited:
I am with Steve on this and his previous posts. I had a chum who was into serial box swapping and he hardly ever talked about the music. Okay he was not attached to a particular item but he was addicted to the process. I enjoy the excitement of upgrades, but also endeavour to practise santosa or contentment in between times and appreciate how amazing the system sounds and the experiences it provides. Best of all with friends who enjoy similar music....and maybe some Barbi ...the wine! :ROFL:

Again, my point is different. Whether your box swapping friend talks about music or not has nothing to do with his swapping. He might not have the other hobby, music. For me gear and music are two different hobbies. You can have both interests, or only one or the other. I average a live show a week, which I think is well above normal for most hifi forums. If someone things they need a Lampi, esoteric, an upgrade from an ethos to a Montis, or a move from a krell to an AR purely for music purposes, they are kidding themselves. They are as much gear heads as I am. Those who are only into music will have system unchanged for years and will focus on listening only. I would think most of us mix the two, which to me implies we have two hobbies

I think we're on similar wavelengths, this is probably one of those conversations that would be easy face to face, but become somewhat misinterpreted in a forum setting. I think we all agree that the experience of listening to music is what it's all about.

If someone things they need a Lampi, esoteric, an upgrade from an ethos to a Montis, or a move from a krell to an AR purely for music purposes, they are kidding themselves. They are as much gear heads as I am. Those who are only into music will have system unchanged for years and will focus on listening only.

Bonzo,

IMHO, you logic is twisted, indefensible and frankly silly.

There's a big difference between buying gear every four to five years, which I do, to update my system to provide greater musical enjoyment and further my emotional connection to the music versus one who habitually buys / swaps gear to see if they like "the flavor of the month".

The argument you are trying to make (and rationalize as defensible) is very obtuse at best.

Respectfully,

Gordon

Bonzo,

There's a big difference between buying gear every four to five years, which I do, to update my system to provide greater musical enjoyment and further my emotional connection to the music versus one who habitually buys / swaps gear to see if they like "the flavor of the month".

Gordon

Not sure who is rationalizing here.

I agree with you Bonz, we are one in the same. I have few tracks and experiment with diff gear and waiting for that next fix when pulling the trigger is sexual.

Back