System #495 (CLS, Logos, Quest)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indyqual1

Reaction score
Name: Gerald
Martin Logan models: CLS1a (1988), Logos (1994), Quest (1992)

I've been a long time fan of Martin Logan since I fell in love at first hear with the CLS 1a. I soon purchased a new pair sending me off into another level of appreciation for music of all kinds and infecting me with this incurable audiophile bug.

Years later the Quest then replaced the CLS trading a bit of purity for bass extension. Given my affection for the CLS I kept them boxed up in storage knowing they would someday breath again.

I then added the Logos and some surround speakers when I ventured into home theater. I repaneled the Quests just a couple years ago with great results. Home theater was a great reason for buying more equipment , and along came various amp, prepros, and source combinations dialing in the perfect sound for me.

Over the years I could never bring myself to practically sell anything which eventually paid off. I'd been so happy with my system that only after stumbling onto an article about the legendary CLS did it dawn on me to try one more combi.. Why not I thought. I've got subs now and great crossover control in the Anthem PrePro with ARC too.

Well it's a wonderful feeling when you rediscover an old treasure and find that once again your transported into sonic bliss like you never thought possible. CLS with subs are sonic heaven.

The home theater is now fully Martin Logan with CLS1a fronts, Logos center, and Quest for stunning surrounds.
Vintage perhaps, but so is the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. Hmmm, I wonder if new CLS 1a panels will ........

Equipment list:

Speakers: CLS1a fronts, Logos center, Quest with new panels for surrounds, HSU VTF3 Mk2 subs x 2
Amps: McIntosh MC501 fronts, Rotel RMB1075 Center, Vincent Sp998 surrounds
PrePro: Anthem D1 with ARC
Sources: Oppo BDP-103 with external HD (96/24 FLAC), Audio Technica 1240 turntable with AT33ev cartridge
Perreaux SM3 preamp used as great phono stage
Monster AVS 2000 voltage stabilizer
Monster HTS5100mkii power center
IC Cables: Mogami gold balanced to front amps, Canare star quad balanced to surround amps, straightwire elsewhere.
Speaker cables: Kimber 12TC for CLS, Straightwire elsewhere
Emotiva power cables for MC501s.
Monster HTS 5100mkii power center
Sony VPL-VW100 SXRD projector

MLO 1.jpg
MLO 3.jpg
MLO 4.jpg

Yes, great looking room. I too have a pair of CLS (IIz's in my case), that I'm currently not using, but having a hard time parting with, so I get your point. What stands are you using with you CLS's?

Yes, great looking room. I too have a pair of CLS (IIz's in my case), that I'm currently not using, but having a hard time parting with, so I get your point. What stands are you using with you CLS's?

Thanks.
The stands are modified Lovan Sovereign component stands. I attached the CLS's up through the bottom using the back leg threaded hole. This allows easy rotation of the CLS to optimize the toe-in even when spiked to the floor. I then added weight plates to the top of the CLS electronics base. I started with a height of 8 inches using only the component stands. I later raised them a bit more using matching Lovan amp stands that I had. This centered them to my seated ear height and dialed in the overall tonal balance.

Gerald,

welcome to the fold……………… tastefully done room to say the least !!!

Very nice room, with nice clean lines.

I would find the TV visually distracting when listening to music. Or is it easy to ignore?

Back