Is Center channel essential for HT ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike99

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been in hunt of replacing my LCR with Montis and Stage X... Possibly in the next 2-3 months...

But started thinking... Center channels would not sound better than floor standing speakers... and got me thinking... If I have a sofa that sits 3 directly in front of TV... Is a center channel essential for HT ? Would not the L&R sound better than a center channel ? I'm going to try it out with my current setup... shut off my Center and see how it sounds... but thought I would ask and see if this was a good idea...

Also... does anyone know if ML will be coming out with any new speakers in the near future ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Spike sometimes.the phanton center sounds better especially if you have montis! The drawback is that if you have people over its no good and you would need a center for off axis listening. The stage center is the best and really packs a hefty punch when you compare it to other centers in the lineup.

I can understand having a center for off axis seating... but that's not my case. As far as I can remember I have always had a center speaker. Today I tried having center off... and its not bad. When center is on and there is only dialogue... sometimes I feel like center is too much in my face... maybe its because I sit 10' away... When I have center off... dialogue does appear to come from center... I almost prefer having center off... I will continue to test... :)

Hi spike i have run a six channel for years bi amped ,with two rear channels and no centre speaker .i am more a music guy than movies.having said that i dont miss the centre at all, but i do like the gains from bi amping .my amp is a redgum,speakers are odysseys.

No center channel only works for 1 person in the room.

You are correct... I have been testing turning off my current center... and I have no issues feeling dialogue coming from center when sitting in my ML position or center of sofa... but if I sit on other end of my sofa (left side, I estimate my sofa is 90" in length)... I feel dialogue coming from left speaker and not center where my ML position is. So yes, this is not for everyone :)

Since I don't have too much ppl coming over... I think I should be OK...

As mentioned, I'm good when I sit in center of my sofa. But when I sit at other end... Then I don't feel dialogue coming from center.... But this is probably because setup is geared to MLP including speaker toe in, speajer level match and starting with MLP when running Audyssey. I'm sure that if setup everything for center then sitting on sides should be OK.

The stereo image will never exist for the entire length of your couch, the physics of it say it won't work. You might make it better, but you won't eliiminate the dialog pull.

Only to comment on M-channel music but the best sounding 5.1 mixes are with very seldom use of center channel.

Stat panels image really well, so if your mains are dialed in, you may not suffer nearly as much as a typical box 2 way. The center panels usually are mainly used for the frequencies that carry voice, so they usually do not need to be full range either. I think a Martin Logan and proper pre processor using phantom or equivalent and DSP would mitigate the need for a center channel better than most speaker setups.

FYI,

In my current setup... I have been toggling between having and removing center... and its almost a toss up between if I prefer a Center speaker...

When I'm ready... I think I will just get fronts... try them out... and then decide if I want a center...

Does anyone know if ML has any plans of coming out with new speakers anytime soon... Looking at history, if there any new speakers they announce either in May or September ..

Last edited:
Back