Martin Logan Neolith Versus Apogee Duetta Interstella

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Both shot by the same Sony RX-100. Both playing loud but obviously not volume matched.

Play back via your hi-fi system. Don't take it too seriously I just thought it was interesting.

The track is the Fairfield Four called These Bones from the album I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray and is on TIDAL. Both vids obviously shot by me.

The track is the Fairfield Four called These Bones from the album I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray and is on TIDAL. Both vids obviously shot by me.

Great track! Listened to it on my iPad ... Apogees clearly better than Neolith. Then I listened to it via my Spires direct from Tidal.... best of all. Therefore I don't need Neos or Apos ...Totally scientific and definitive of course. :ROFL:

Thanks for the fun and the track ... Will check out more of the Four!!

What is up with this horrible song? I have seen it used as demo material on several videos now. Wow, does anyone really actually like this song or is it just used for evaluation purposes? Songs like these give us audiophiles a bad name when it comes to recruiting the younger generation into our hobby. It affirms the ancient stereotype that the audiophile hobby is only for old people lol!

Doug and Gordon...

I actually think it is a great track even though it is way outside of the bounds of what I usually listen to. It went viral at Munich as Kedar will confirm, with loads of rooms using it. It does sound good but unfortunately the rest of the album is nowhere near as good IMHO - rubbish in fact. Well I think so.

What is quite amusing is listening to it via the same speakers it was recorded from. It gains a quite distorted sounding live acoustic with room acoustics becoming very obvious - even when played back in the room it was recorded in. Played back via anything half decent the room acoustics on both vids are quite evident I think.

If camera mics get much better (don't think that'll happen any time soon) maybe loudspeaker manufacturers need to start getting worried.

I think the little camera mics are getting overloaded on both videos.

One thing I will say about the Neolith panel which marks it apart from Summit and down - the sweet spot is much wider than anything Summit or down. As I move around with the camera the sound is actually quite uniform - better than the long thin ribbon on the Apogee TBH. Not surprising given its radiating area.

That said the Apogee still sounds good when you are quite markedly off axis - it is only when you get close to the speakers (less than a metre or about 3 feet) you can really hear very marked changes as you move around. It beats a Summit or Ascent (which I used to own) off axis at a distance quite markedly IMHO.

Anyway, bit of fun and if you follow that account you can compare a plethora of other speakers all shot with the Sony. But they aren't playing the same track which ruins the fun to a large extent.

In the flesh, considering the price difference, the massively cheaper Apogee wins hands down in VFM terms. No surprises there but I'd love to hear an Interstella spec'd Diva against the Neolith in the same room. Or even a Full Range (which would still cost way less).

Thanks for taking this the right way I am not promoting Apogees as they are largely irrelevant these days since the company as it was is no more. Also it is true to say that is no normal Duetta.

Amazingly the Duetta goes lower than Neolith. I also think bass articulation/detail is better. However, it is smaller than Neolith and does not have the scale as a result. For me that is quite a big minus hence the Diva rant etc.

In a big room given the choice I might well plump for Neolith:) An "interstella" Full Range or Diva I suspect definitely not!!!!!

Last edited:
Actually, I wouldn't be able to confirm the song went viral at Munich because usually music I don't listen to somehow doesn't register with me. I wouldn't know the Fairfield Four song from the fantastic four movie soundtrack. Btw, going to Munich again this year, but just two days. No other trips planned across April and May, I think. Kind of detoxing

You were in the Avantgarde room listening to it on the Trios with me and I think the ML room too. Another over used track is Hugh Masekela's Stimela. That makes me puke I hear it so often at shows.

I might go to Munich again but out to Barcelona first.

Last edited:
The Fairfield Four song These Bones that Justin played is very good and well recorded. Though you do need a liking for gospel it sounds way better than on the video.

I just regurgitated some apple chunks listening to that gospel.

Those lights on the Apogee speakers are interesting and was considered doing something similar with some 5050-LED RGB light strips behind the panels on a music controller.

https://youtu.be/MR9ehP80E2E

Back