Spires won't come out of standby

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin42

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I did a search and didn't turn up anything on point. I have a somewhat odd issue with my setup and am wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar and found a solution.

My system consists of ML Spires for L/R, ML Stage X center, and Paradigm in-wall rears (not relevant here). Amp is a Parasound Halo A31. For 2-channel listening, I used a Benchmark HGC DAC2 fed by a Mac Mini running JRiver. Everything works perfectly in 2-ch.

For HT, I run the Benchmark DAC2 in HT bypass mode and use an Integra DCH 9.9 preamp. Here's where the issue comes in: if my HT source (tv, dvd, etc.) is muted for a period of time, the Spires go into standby mode and don't come out of standby when audio resumes; I just get sound through the Stage X and my rear speakers. I can change the input on the DAC2 and play a song and the speakers come out of standby, at which point I can switch back to HT and things work as normal.

I'd obviously like to find a solution to this and any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

justin

Hi Justin,
I had the same issue with my Summits.... When watching a movie, if there's just a lot of dialog (center channel) and nothing being sent to the R and L channels, the speakers will go into shutdown (6 minute time limit) until a signal is detected again.. This would do the same thing when listening to 2-channel at low volume levels. It was annoying to say the least, and cranking up the volume would solve the problem as the signal would be sensed and the speakers would come back on..

I wish ML would put a switch to disable this "feature". Many of us have our ML's plugged into a power manager that shuts down the power to them when the system is turned off, so having the auto sensing circuit isn't valuable..

I would contact ML tech support and let them know your problem.. The may be able to give you some suggestions or MAYBE they can replace your power supplies to ones that aren't so sensitive. I know that some of the Summit and Vista models had power supplies that could not sense the signal ever from a class D amp, and changes were made to them and new PS's were sent out when requested.... Give that a shot and see what they say...

Best,

Tom.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply, I'll get in contact with ML tech support. The speakers are out of warranty, but it's worth asking.

I too wish this feature could be disabled!

Latest posts

Back