More mooks, awesome tweaks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woke up at 3.30. If I put in as much effort at work as I put into cricket and hifi, I would have been a billionaire at 30 and bought a big room with Western Electric horns and non-Ikea chair

that's true , I can`t keep up with your world tours of hi fi set ups !!! Holland, paris , Germany .london.......

So, a guy on WBF who took my reco and "I bought a set of Ultra Diamond Resonator and placed them. Under the pre. Wossshh they did a Dramatic diference with the precedent feet ! How can I say because my english vocabulary is a bit limited I can summarise as stupidly as much more "musical" music reproduction. More organic and more emotionnally involving. The impression of being more in contact with the musician. The impression for me to be more part of the whole event.
I listened to some well known records and I never heard music this good and involving in my system until now. Didn.t even imagined I could best my system in such a way only woth 3 pieces of wood. It's a kind of magic."

....(cont'd in another post) I just ordered another set of used UDR in germany. Where do you think I should try it first ? I also surprise myself thinking about the Giant Resonators, something I couldn't imagine before hearing to what UDR are capable of.... Did I say crazy ? Does someone here already exprienced with Giant vs Ultras ?"

And then from another guy

"They were a revelation under my b.p.t. and Entreq grounding. My take is that unlike Stillpoints, which accentuate the leading edge of notes, the Mooks accentuate the body of the note, enhancing tone. They do amazing things w/basslines. All holistic, making each note more "together", not a forensic enhancement as I found Stillpoints to bring my sound."

And yet another "Great news with your Mooks ****igh. I received 14 more discs today which have expanded my soundstage again."

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17152-More-mooks-awesome-tweaks/page4

I received 14 more discs today which have expanded my soundstage again."

Awesome. I'm going to order 15 of them then. My soundstage will be better than yours! :)

Disclaimer: I'm just joshing......

Last edited:
So, a guy on WBF who took my reco and "I bought a set of Ultra Diamond Resonator and placed them. Under the pre. Wossshh they did a Dramatic diference with the precedent feet ! How can I say because my english vocabulary is a bit limited I can summarise as stupidly as much more "musical" music reproduction. More organic and more emotionnally involving. The impression of being more in contact with the musician. The impression for me to be more part of the whole event.
I listened to some well known records and I never heard music this good and involving in my system until now. Didn.t even imagined I could best my system in such a way only woth 3 pieces of wood. It's a kind of magic."

....(cont'd in another post) I just ordered another set of used UDR in germany. Where do you think I should try it first ? I also surprise myself thinking about the Giant Resonators, something I couldn't imagine before hearing to what UDR are capable of.... Did I say crazy ? Does someone here already exprienced with Giant vs Ultras ?"

And then from another guy

"They were a revelation under my b.p.t. and Entreq grounding. My take is that unlike Stillpoints, which accentuate the leading edge of notes, the Mooks accentuate the body of the note, enhancing tone. They do amazing things w/basslines. All holistic, making each note more "together", not a forensic enhancement as I found Stillpoints to bring my sound."

And yet another "Great news with your Mooks ****igh. I received 14 more discs today which have expanded my soundstage again."

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17152-More-mooks-awesome-tweaks/page4

Since the StillPoints accentuate the leading edge and the Mooks accentuate the body of the note, I wonder if a combo would yield the best of both technologies? Or maybe not. I put the little StillPoints under my CD/SACD player/DAC and was pretty blown away by the difference in the sound stage, bigger more defined.

Since the StillPoints accentuate the leading edge and the Mooks accentuate the body of the note, I wonder if a combo would yield the best of both technologies? Or maybe not. I put the little StillPoints under my CD/SACD player/DAC and was pretty blown away by the difference in the sound stage, bigger more defined.

On components like Cdp, dac, pre and power I still have to meet a single guy who has preferred the still points or considered them even close to the mooks (among those who have heard both - I owned the still points before, for example). Under a speaker, there is no choice. It has to be still points

Not sure why the guy's name got started out. Where you see ****igh in my post above, was actually the guy's forum handle. His first 4 letters got starred out here

On components like Cdp, dac, pre and power I still have to meet a single guy who has preferred the still points or considered them even close to the mooks (among those who have heard both - I owned the still points before, for example). Under a speaker, there is no choice. It has to be still points

According to the opinions on WBF, it's all over the map. Some like Stillpoints, some Shun Mook, Some Dalby Audio D7 Lvse 90 footers, and as for record clamps one likes nothing. I have a friend with a very high end system who swore by Stillpoints as "the best" but has moved on to Absolare footers - even better. In the end, all make a difference, whether it's what you prefer is entirely up to you.

If you read the opinions on wbf, I haven't seen that among those who have heard both. There are a lot preferring still points, but not over mooks. There is one guy who prefers the Dalby, and I can't comment as I haven't heard it. I haven't heard absolare either. I owned both, I won't go to still points ever again, and I don't know anyone whose place I have been to, who had either of still points, symposiums, or cerabase, who did not prefer the mooks far more. Not even a close call. Still points are the obvious choice for under the speakers

If you read the opinions on wbf, I haven't seen that among those who have heard both. There are a lot preferring still points, but not over mooks.

You are on the wbf thread, I just picked the data from the members' response. Would still be an interesting experiment to see if combined they yield additive improvements.

BTW - I think you all have the Shun Mook Audio product names wrong. According to their site, the 2 larger chunks of wood with a shiny stone attached are called - and I quote, "URTRA DIAMOND RESONATORS (U.D.R.)" and "GAINT DIAMOND RESONATORS (G.D.R.)".

Nice.... :p

I listened to Lenny's Mahler 4, specifically the start and the last movement. Just not my thing. I just hear a bunch of orchestral lines, with nothing cohesive, and just when you think a theme is being developed you suddenly get a crescendo. Way too abstract for me.

The female vocal mentioned by Dougster did nothing for me. I much prefer something like "In Trutina" from Carmina Burana; you actually follow it build into something.

Bernard, I remember you mentioning you didn't like Mahler? I watched Haitink conduct the first last weekend and it was awesome. Listen to the first 4 minutes of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1RDalpXuA

Bernard, I remember you mentioning you didn't like Mahler? I watched Haitink conduct the first last weekend and it was awesome. Listen to the first 4 minutes of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1RDalpXuA
Kedar, it does nothing for me. I hear it as a bunch of themes, with nothing cohesive. Just as soon as you think a musical phrase is being developed, it changes into something entirely different. It's almost like listening to the music from a suspenseful movie, without watching the movie. Sorry, "Der Titan" is not for me.

I used to have a recording of it, but gave it away as every time I tried to listen to it, it irritated me.

Vive la difference!

Latest posts

Back