More mooks, awesome tweaks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Not for objectives, thanks.

Today was at a friend's place, we tried this tweak which was huuuge, and he said this is the best sound he has had in his room.

All we did is take a pair of the shun mook wooden blocks you see in the picture below (three shun mooks discs on each block, this is part of their product line, not DIY) and placed it facing the listener, just inside the line of each speaker. There were two Krell monos just inside the line of the speakers, as shown below, and we placed them on top of the Krell. First we placed them at the front of the amp, then moved them back to the end of the amp, facing the same direction. Both the changes resulted in a huge shift in soundstage. Moving them to the back of the amp was massive increase in the stage of the orchestra. Simple and cheap.

This guy is a semi-pro trombonist and violinist. He picks up changes immediately, can recognize what type of tuba, baroque recorder, etc. instantly.

Thanks to Justin for reminding me to try these on the Lampi, because I blind tested him and he passed 100% - various changes.

Attachments

• 20150322_160329.jpg
    20150322_160329.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150322_160301.jpg
    20150322_160301.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20150322_160250.jpg
    20150322_160250.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 147
Glad it worked for you , fancy trying it at the wigwam show next week !!!!!!!!

They will throw me out. That said, I will, if I manage to come - it's the cricket world cup final, I will be up from 3.30 am, and the match will continue till noon

And Phil, no it's not FOR ME it worked, it worked for Bill, and it will work for you

- it's the cricket world cup final, I will be up from 3.30 am, and the match will continue till noon

HAAH - isn't it great? Who do you think will be in the final?

My bet is NZ v Australia, but our game against India at the SCG is going to be a tough one. And so will NZ v South Africa.

Last edited:
HAAH - isn't it great? Who do you think will be in the final?

My bet is NZ v Australia, but our game against India at the SCG is going to be a tough one. And so will NZ v South Africa.

Well Australia is the strongest side. India needs a bit of luck to win. Easy wickets from Warner and maxwell, need to bat first and get 300 on. Possible Johnson can have one of his loose days.

I am Indian but supported the Aussies all the way from Steve waugh's debut till his retirement. Liked ponting as a batsman never as a captain. Hussey was awesome. Your guys coming back to form last ashes was pure Australian.

Think kiwis will be the other finalists. My heart wants them to win (romantic and all that). My mind says Australia. But I think if India manage to inch past Australia, India will win.

I.Don't want the south Africans to win because having lost to India and Pakistan, they don't deserve the cup anymore

Last edited:
Well Australia is the strongest side. India needs a bit of luck to win. Easy wickets from Warner and maxwell need to bat first and get 300 on. Possible Johnson can have one of his loose days.

I am Indian but supported the Aussies all the way from Steve waugh's debut till his retirement. Liked ponting as a batsman never aas a captain. Hussey was awesome. Your guys coming back to form last ashes as pure Australian.

Think kiwis will be the other finalist. My heart wants them to win (romantic and all that). My mind says Australia. But I think if India manager to inch pay Australia, India will win.

I.Don't want the south Africans to win because having lost to India and Pakistan, they don't deserve the cup anymore

Maybe we need a cricket appreciation thread? I can call each delivery for you as I might get to see it a few seconds earlier.

Last time I mentioned the cricket on this forum, someone commented on the sound they were making in the garden :)

Agree with you about Ponting - he was lucky to have some of the very best players in the team during his captaincy - Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, et al - otherwise it may have been a very ordinary era for Australian cricket. And yes - India will need to take some early wickets in Sydney - I guess you'll be watching that match too?

Last edited:
Maybe we need a cricket appreciation thread? I can call each delivery for you as I might get to see it a few seconds earlier.

Last time I mentioned the cricket on this forum, someone commented on the sound they were making in the garden :)

Agree with you about Ponting - he was lucky to have some of the very best players in the team during his captaincy - Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, et al - otherwise it may have been a very ordinary era for Australian cricket. And yes - India will need to take some early wickets in Sydney - I guess you'll be watching that match too?

On a work day, so I will sleep, but will watch the second innings at work. A cricket appreciation thread will be like you and I PMing each other

Not Justin? Is he not English or something? :)

Or is it just because of their dismal display at the world cup?

I don't know if he understands cricket, but I am sure he must be betting on the matches. He seems to have a tendency to bet on things he doesn't follow :ROFL:

OMG it's the evil:devil: Dr Foo again, travelling around, spreading his dodgy wares.

I think he is on the Mook payroll myself, hypnotising innocent audiophools these things actually work.

He should be locked up.

Actually do go to Scalford with them. You MUST.:ROFL:

OMG it's the evil:devil: Dr Foo again, travelling around, spreading his dodgy wares.

I think he is on the Mook payroll myself, hypnotising innocent audiophools these things actually work.

He should be locked up.

Actually do go to Scalford with them. You MUST.:ROFL:

I wish - I must have done more for Mook sales than anyone else, though admittedly all the sales so far have been from the used market. You should also put me on your payroll as I might end up marketing your Apogees. Btw is that the Super Diva you referred to, which the other guy is picking up?

Innocent audiophools - hence I mentioned he was a semi-pro musician who trusted his ears, not an 'engineer' who trusted his theory.

No I trusted my ears as I said before, and with proper testing no one could tell. Let's stop arguing about it we'll get nowhere.

Definitely need a separate thread. I keep opening it, to be confronted by a cricket discussion. It's just not cricket to be discussing cricket in this thread!

Definitely need a separate thread. I keep opening it, to be confronted by a cricket discussion. It's just not cricket to be discussing cricket in this thread!

The cricket discussion was going fine until Justin jumped in with his foo call

Guys you know how much I love the Lampi. Yesterday those mook tweaks made a bigger difference (in magnitude), then a change from VPI to Oppo or to the Lampi.

Back