Cartridge recommendations please - especially any based on direct comparisons..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougster

Reaction score
My own cartridge history started way back with Shure MMs and then on via ADC to a selection of Moving coils. This started with Supex 901, then Koetsu Black, Koetsu Urushi and over the last ten years or so Transfiguration Temper and then Transfiguration Phoenix mark 1. I really enjoy the purity of the Transfiguration sound although my model of Phoenix is a touch (and I mean a touch) over bright/ thin at top end occasionally. I would probably not have noticed had I not been downgrading from the Temper which was very neutral and elegant! I have enjoyed the Phoenix nevertheless but at six years plus I have the prospect to change ... Having recently upgraded my Linn LP12 with DC motor, new top plate, plinth and sub chassis, the sound is stunning and also very objective compared to the original setup, displaying much greater differences between recordings. I am interested in some of the following ... new model Phoenix, Proteus or possibly .... Lyra Etna :bowdown:...... I heard the Linn Kandid (modified Lyra Kleos) and found it very resolving - many love it, but it was a tad over percussive and under melodic to my ears (if that make sense!)

Very hard to hear any of these side by side! Have any of you guys heard such comparisons? Or have any thoughts. Probably won't change till later in the year, cart and stylus still fine, but losing dynamics with age. (I prefer new replacement not retipping btw)

Thanks guys,

:guitar:

I use the Transfig Orpheus still (not the low output one). Some say it is better than the new Proteus. The chap that built the Orpheus is dead.

http://www.miyajima-lab.com/e-stereo.html These look to have a great mechanism. I know someone with an excellent system who prefers these to Audio Note IOs - which are very good.

Lyra's sound quite etched, bright and crystalline to me might not be your bag.

Orpheus is truely great and well balanced cartridge. I have Lyra Titan i which has great resolution and is bit on the analytical side of things, espacially after coming from Benz.
One thing to consider is how well a cartridge will match your player and RIAA, will it shine or just be ok.

I have Lyra Titan i which has great resolution and is bit on the analytical side of things, espacially after coming from Benz.
One thing to consider is how well a cartridge will match your player and RIAA, will it shine or just be ok.

Agreed, being a 'Benz' guy myself and my son having the Lyra in his setup I concur.

Dave, while I was waiting for my Koetsu Rosewood, my dealer lent me a Benz that cost about the same as the Koetsu ($2,500, if I recall correctly). I disliked it as I thought it sounded too etched; of course it wasn't broken in yet. Any idea how long break-in would be? :)

The Koetsu, OTOH, I liked straight out of the box. Koetsus have the reputation of being lush and romantic, but I like that sound. I went from Supex 901, to Koetsu Black, to Koetsu Black Gold Line, to Koetsu Rosewood.

Last edited:
Straight out of box - cartridges tend to sound sharp and edgy. Don't play your best records until broken in, typically 20-50h.

Dave, while I was waiting for my Koetsu Rosewood, my dealer lent me a Benz that cost about the same as the Koetsu ($2,500, if I recall correctly). I disliked it as I thought it sounded too etched; of course it wasn't broken in yet. Any idea how long break-in would be? :)

I'm thinking 10-20 hrs Bernard

The Koetsu, OTOH, I liked straight out of the box. Koetsus have the reputation of being lush and romantic, but I like that sound. I went from Supex 901, to Koetsu Black, to Koetsu Black Gold Line, to Koetsu Rosewood.

agreed and on certain music they do reign supreme !

Straight out of box - cartridges tend to sound sharp and edgy. Don't play your best records until broken in, typically 20-50h.

I suppose it could be that long depending on design, ambient room temp, etc

Interesting responses.... From what I am reading I think the Miyajima carts might be a bit of a risk of over dense presentation. But what a fascinating website!!! Worlds worst yet most interesting English!! Thanks Justin. At present I think it's mainly between Transfiguration Phoenix or Proteus and Etna .... I enjoyed Koetsu in the past Bernard especially Urushi, but worry I might find them over coloured now.... But maybe that's an old fashioned view of them, and of course their "colouration" is beautiful and rich, and can compliment Stats very well whereas with dynamic speakers too rich for my tastes. ...apologies for generalisations on basis of driver types but you probably know what I mean:rocker:

I think I shall see what I can hear over the next while..... Transfiguration Lyra and Linn relatively easy also probably Dynavector. Benz and Koetsu hmmm could be tricky! Now what about that objectivist randomised double blind trial !!!??? No let's not go there :banghead::banghead:

How have you guys made your choices??? I started after hearing Supex in a Linn, Koetsu Black after a dealer recommendation, Urushi low mileage second hand opportunity. Transfiguration after reading reviews. (Of all these the Transfiguration has worked out best for me. Great natural balanced sound.) So a bit random, but fun practical at the time and no regrets

I used to love my AQ7000 and while I had Benz Ruby 3 MR, it never quite got to the same level except for "organic" mid range and I wanted to try a Lyra (Carr design too). Delos had some nice qualities while not the best overall balance Titan i is an improvement in all sectors but can't equal Benz at its' best and vice versa. It is possible that Orpheus (L) might be the best cartridge that I have heard but there are too many parameters which are always different from system to system and there is no universal "final solution" for this or any other dilemma. Anyway if looking for the very best of , always go for the low output version but make sure you have a RIAA to match.

I agree with Bernard and Markuu in that compromise and trade offs are basically the 'norm'. FWIW I am hearing a lot of good out of the Ortofon camp as of late ..................

I think it is a crying shame the best cartridges cost as much as they do. I refuse to pay it on "that's ridiculous" grounds.

Far better to save 66% of retail and get it checked or fixed by an expert for much less overall cost than buy a new one.

I got my Orpheus from Audiogon with a receipt that proved it was 4 months old. I paid £1250 for it. They were way more than £3000 when they stopped making them.

If you want a cartridge that appears to do nothing but extract the music from the grooves without doing anything even vaguely obviously wrong the Trans Orpheus was/is very good. The low output means you have to spend more on supporting hardware really.

I also really rate Benz - I had an Ace Micro LS for a 10th of the cost of the Orpheus retail. The difference in performance was not massive.

All in all analogue IS a pain in the butt. I really do prefer my Lampizator.

Last edited:
I agree with Bernard and Markuu in that compromise and trade offs are basically the 'norm'. FWIW I am hearing a lot of good out of the Ortofon camp as of late ..................

I used to have a non-MC Ortofon long before the Supex; really liked it.

Mr. Moderator Dave, is it coincidence that my Koetsu avatar disappeared in a cartridge thread?

Well, it's back!

And a good thing too... yours and Justin's definitely amongst the best! Love that cat ....presumably "The Lampizator", certainly looks ready to Lampizate the unwary!

About to listen to Fremer's Analog Planet clips of different phono stages with Phoenix and then Etna fitted to crazy stuff. Maybe you've all checked it out last year, but I wasn't running Hi res stuff then. You can still avoid seeing the result till you've ranked the options blind (shouldn't it be deaf!!:p).

Listened to my Phoenix today... it will be hard for me to move away from Transfigs methinks, but for fun I shall see what dealers offer in the way of demos.

Has anyone here listened to the London Decca cartridges? You don't hear them discussed much (if at all) in the forums.

Has anyone here listened to the London Decca cartridges? You don't hear them discussed much (if at all) in the forums.........

I remember hearing one in the seventies! Great presence and attack and gut on string sound very convincing, but their sound didn't suit all styles of music back then. I have been put off by their poor tracking tho' maybe that's improved of late. But I like my vinyl the way it is!!!

Have requested in house bake off with Transfiguration Proteus and Etna .... In a month or two!!!

Last edited:
I must say I am loving my Dynavector XXII-Mk. 2 on an LP12 /Ittok/Origin Live Ultra DC100 motor and modified motor position. This replaced a Benz "Ace" medium output which replaced a Linn "Karma."

I must say I am loving my Dynavector XXII-Mk. 2 on an LP12 /Ittok/Origin Live Ultra DC100 motor and modified motor position. This replaced a Benz "Ace" medium output which replaced a Linn "Karma."

I have heard good things re Dynavector and certainly a popular LP12 option it appears. I hope to get my cartridge test happening before I head off for summer hols in June!! Thanks for the thought... Most people seem to report that cart as a sweet sounder??!

Latest posts

Back