SL3 Owners-QUESTION

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfun

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of SL3's. The panel of one had slipped so I took the side off to move it back up (I will do the mod to hold it in place later).The question I have is on BOTH of my speakers the woofer metal grille is OVERLAPPED on top of the electrostic panel,is this correct or should the electrostatic panel be sitting EVEN with the woofer grille? See picture of mine-it seems like they should be even with each other not the woofer grille ovelapping the electrostaic panel.. Thanks for the time Rich

Attachments

• 20150313_222330.jpg
    20150313_222330.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20150313_222341.jpg
    20150313_222341.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 132
Sl3 overlap

They should be even with each other, no over lap. This might involve taking off the panel and moving the lower grille up to be even with the upper panel,or vise verse ? First u have to take off the side trim use a rubber hammer tap the bottom or top to release them Be careful u can bend the grile if u try to pull it off! Pry them off easy. Good listening.

Right, woofer grill and front (outer) stator are flush.
The panels want to slip downward until they hang from one of the wires, so you might look into adding strips of weatherstripping foam behind the ESL panels to take up some of the springiness and shrinkage of the old original foam strip.
New (and old!) owners of these original style ML should go through and check and repair every single screwhole in the MDF, as they like to strip out. Esp check the ones holding down the mounting rail pin receiver hardware.
ML SL3 rail mt close.jpg

Another trick is to add a little bracket screwed into the bottom of the cabinet that sticks out enough to hold the bottom of the woofer grille. So even if the rails fail to grip the panels strongly enough, you have some resistance to the whole thing sliding down over time.

Another trick is to add a little bracket screwed into the bottom of the cabinet that sticks out enough to hold the bottom of the woofer grille. So even if the rails fail to grip the panels strongly enough, you have some resistance to the whole thing sliding down over time.
Exactly what I did. ML even supplied the bracket.

Back