Why We Love Mono Block Amplifiers So Much?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin said:
I almost forgot this beauty :D :
1138655617.jpg

oh yeh... they look mighty fine in person, and sound light years better than they look. they define the word "keepers".

While multiple Mono units might be the ultimate design, I think it’s still about having the right amount of power and current for the job.

I’d rather have a massively powerful multichannel amp than multiple, underpowered mono units.

I’d rather passively biamp with stereo (or multichannel) amps than have one big mono amp per side. Ideally, I’d biamp with active crossovers (which I do).

Whether mono or multichannel, I’d rather have the amps in the rack with shorter line level cables (and I already use Balanced for all my amps), than long interconnects and short speaker wires. The power levels on speaker wire are high enough, and the impact of impedance /resistance are low enough that in my book, it’s the better tradeoff.

I believe what attracts us to multiple mono is the ‘purity’ of the concept, the ‘wow’ factor of the big boxes next to speakers and the visual feedback that provides. The sound is rarely significantly better than appropriately sized multichannel amps.

If really wanted that visual feedback and the ‘impress the neighbor’ bulk of a big monoblock, I’d just commission a ‘klone’ job and have some shop build out a nice machined aluminum face plate and box, add some LED’s and maybe even a power meter (fed by speaker level going to the speaker). Put those puppies out next to speakers. Heck, I could even claim I ‘Designed’ this cool amp ;)

But that would be pure theatrics. Personally, I like my gear in the equipment room it’s in. My theater is clean and devoid of lots of blinking lights and boxes. Great for movies and intense music listening.

It seems to me much of it depends on how well either approach's circuit is designed and executed (fabricated). A monoblock has no excuse for being lesser than a stereo unit but how many monoblocks fail to do it all correctly? Plenty I bet. Lot's of hype out there and not enough honest/bright designers to cut through all the crap and do it right,.and let the cards fall where they may. Probably not a practical approach to staying in business but it's what I see.

I design and mod my own stuff and feel that it is an integral part of my ability to hear and take snap shots of sound quality, and do camparisons from one change to the next. Others might argue but it works for me, at least my mods tell me so. I don't find it too difficult to remember how imaging, soundstaging, and clarity level are in setup to setup. I just take note is all. It may not be %100, but it's something that is a guide to me.

Did somebody say "MONO"

Joey_V said:
Why?

Same reason why I like dual mono designs... the word "MONO" just sounds sooo cool.

Joke joke! :D

Say it with me.... "MONO"!!

What do you have? I have MONOBLOCKS!! That's right... MONOBLOCKS! ;)
Here you go Joey. I park my car next to the "MONO" :) Mr. Krell that is.

Attachments

• DSC01065.JPG
    DSC01065.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 594
JonFo said:
Whether mono or multichannel, I’d rather have the amps in the rack with shorter line level cables (and I already use Balanced for all my amps), than long interconnects and short speaker wires. The power levels on speaker wire are high enough, and the impact of impedance /resistance are low enough that in my book, it’s the better tradeoff.

Hi,
I'd have to choose the other option, long interconnects, and short speaker cables. ML's drop very low in impedance (My CLS's go down to .7 ohms), and at those impedances, additional speaker wire resistance from long runs can most definately make a difference in the sound.

My .02,
Peter

Peter Hogan said:
Hi,
I'd have to choose the other option, long interconnects, and short speaker cables. ML's drop very low in impedance (My CLS's go down to .7 ohms), and at those impedances, additional speaker wire resistance from long runs can most definately make a difference in the sound.

My .02,
Peter

Peter, I hear you, but would tend to doubt it’s significant. Remember that what that speaker wire is connected to is a bunch more wires in a passive crossover (for Hybrids) or even in the case of your CLS, you are ultimately driving meters upon meters of wire in the transformers that feed the ESL. What are a few more feet of 10 or 12 gauge wire in terms of resistance that the amp sees? Negligible would be my guess.
Anyone ever measured this?

chris03053 said:
Here you go Joey. I park my car next to the "MONO" :) Mr. Krell that is.

Chris,

You really know how to kick a guy while he's down..

I cant even afford a Krell 2ch and you're showing me your MONOBLOCK? Gah.... why I oughta... :D .

Seriously though, I think the real appeal to monoblocks is that the lines are kept completely separate. However, I dont know how monoblocks compare to dual-mono designs (two amps in 1 case)... anyone like to comment?

Joey

Dual-Mono Designs...

Joey_V said:
Chris,

You really know how to kick a guy while he's down..

I cant even afford a Krell 2ch and you're showing me your MONOBLOCK? Gah.... why I oughta... .

Seriously though, I think the real appeal to monoblocks is that the lines are kept completely separate. However, I dont know how monoblocks compare to dual-mono designs (two amps in 1 case)... anyone like to comment?

Joey
Joey,

I started this tread, as I am considering bi-amping two tubed mono blocks to my Ascent i mains, someday in the future. ;) I love the mono block designs Tubed and / or SS. I have an Anthem P5 amplifier, which is five mono blocks (completely separate mono blocks, with separate power sources), in on large housing (weighs 130 lbs.). It is wonderful as a multi-mono block design. :D Just really hard to move around (my son helps me) easily. The multi-mono P5 offers beautiful separation and the huge power and current, which produces a gloriously neutral detailed image in sound amplification. It's great as the P5 lets my ML's be as revealing as they are, which is beautiful... I love multi-mono blocks like my P5. :D

I also love your BEM Vantages... :D

Joey_V said:

Joey

Hi Joey,

I posted about this above - identical circuits in dual mono Plinius SA102.

As far as I can see there are two reasons for manufacturing monoblocs instead of a dual mono design. The first is the sheer physical size of a large powerful amplifier - can be worth dividing it into two. The second is responding to the concept of placing amplifiers close to speakers and having short loudspeaker cable runs. Been there done that - couldn't hear a difference. There is another reason and that is the dictum of fashion.

I think the 'idea' of channel separation and monoblocs is more powerful than the reality. It makes far more conceptual sense to separate the power supply and control componentry of preamps but that has only recently swung into fashion.

I am not against monoblocs. Purely by accident the majority of our amplifiers have been of this configuration. I suspect that a manufacturer with the same budget will produce a superior stereo amp than monoblocs as chassis costs can be significant.

Kevin

I understand the "chassis cost" idea... it would be slightly cheaper to manufacture a "same quality" stereo amp as two monoblocks due to a 1 chassis design. I would second your idea regarding the sheer mentality of having 2 amps as opposed to 1, giving the listener a slight "security blanket" that comes with seeing 2 amps instead of 1.

That being said, I feel that monoblocks exist as a way for manufacturers to give it their best shot at an amp without being restrained to an overly large 2 channel chassis. They could build 100lb monoblocks that would be slightly easier to move around than a electrically identical 2 channel 200lb stereo amp.

Vantage Envy...

Joey_V said:
You and my BEMs.... tsk tsk tsk.. ;) .
Joey,

OK, let's clear the air, confession is good for the soul... I lust after your BEM Vantages. There, I said it and I feel so much better... :p

;) How may more days till they come in? Let me just check my calendar...

Robin said:
Joey,

OK, let's clear the air, confession is good for the soul... I lust after your BEM Vantages. There, I said it and I feel so much better... :p

;) How may more days till they come in? Let me just check my calendar...
You know what folks I bet in a couple of months when your waiting in line a your local Supermarket and you glance up at one of the tabloids, Joey, Robin and his new BEM Vantage's will be on the cover...Headline..."Kinky Love Triangle Unfolds in the Windy City" !!!!!

twich54 said:
You know what folks I bet in a couple of months when your waiting in line a your local Supermarket and you glance up at one of the tabloids, Joey, Robin and his new BEM Vantage's will be on the cover...Headline..."Kinky Love Triangle Unfolds in the Windy City" !!!!!

And the first line of the story will read. "Folks, this sounds too good to be true!" :D

Oh geez... what happened here?

I dont log on for like 5 hours and it's all gone to kinky-town??

Hhehhehe :) .

Why we love mono block amps. so much...

Gentlemen, please back to the subject of this thread, why do we love mono blocks so much?

Joey, let me ask you this, If you could have two of the very best Rotel mono blocks or a Rotel 1090, what would you choose? and Why? :)

Robin said:
Gentlemen, please back to the subject of this thread, why do we love mono blocks so much?

Joey, let me ask you this, If you could have two of the very best Rotel mono blocks or a Rotel 1090, what would you choose? and Why? :)

Hmmm.. ok let's set the ground rules.

- Let's say that the Rotel monoblocks are essentially the same as the each of the dual monos of the Rotel RB1090.
- Let's say that the Rotel monoblocks cost approximately 1250$ each and the Rotel 1090 is $2000.
- Let's say that they should sound the same.... technically similar so I dont see what the difference could be.

Ok... what would I choose?

I would go with the Rotel RB1090 dual mono.. why? Because it's cheaper and just as effective. However, if I had the money, I could see why I would go with the monoblocks... easier to place, easier to lift (lighter), and just plain cooler.

But I'm me, and I'm somewhat strapped. :(

Hmmm..One box, two boxes, a gazillion boxes...and on and on...

It all comes down to what sounds best, what works best with your setup (placement and location), and what fits into your budget.

Personally I prefer an amp that is Stereo, but can be changed to Mono at the flip of a switch. With this type of setup, you can get more power (if needed) and have the same sound signatures.

Dan

Robin said:

All right kids get out of the gutter, play time is over with !!

Back