Summit owners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
What do you feel gives u the best in bass quality with the summits having the down firing woofer firing into a hard surface or soft surface like carpet?

I have not a/b'd hardwood vs carpet, my experience in the past was hardwood vs carpet in different rooms so the dimension of the room had more of an effect. I would say, typically, hardwood would probably potentiate bass a bit more.

Last edited:
What do you feel gives u the best in bass quality with the summits having the down firing woofer firing into a hard surface or soft surface like carpet?

Spiked into an Auralex gramma (costs only 50 - 70 bucks).

Why would you think hardwood would attenuate more than carpet? I would think carpet would attenuate much more. When I had carpet and a down firing sub I put a slab of marble under it.

Don't put marble or granite, put Auralex, way superior

That system is long gone now, but it worked fine with marble when I had it. I suspect that a surface neither too hard or too soft would work best.

I've heard that Symposium USA (symposiumusa.com), Super Plus platforms are good with Summits, using their precision couplers under the Summit spikes. I never tried them myself since I don't have the Summits yet. But again, bonzo has first hand experience with Auralex, they may be much better than symposium platforms.

Why would you think hardwood would attenuate more than carpet? I would think carpet would attenuate much more. When I had carpet and a down firing sub I put a slab of marble under it.

Made a mistake, I meant potentiate - not attenuate.

Hello, new Summit owner here, my floor is berber carpet over a concrete slab, I'm still getting used to the sound of those woofers. I'm such a mid-range freak that I focus on the upper bass wacks that the panels handle so well, to me the deep bass doesn't have much sound as just felt if that makes sense. I guess my hearing loss after many rock concerts in the 1970's and hanging around race tracks worries me a bit. I know my hearing is spot on in the other areas.

Hello, new Summit owner here, my floor is berber carpet over a concrete slab, I'm still getting used to the sound of those woofers. I'm such a mid-range freak that I focus on the upper bass wacks that the panels handle so well, to me the deep bass doesn't have much sound as just felt if that makes sense. I guess my hearing loss after many rock concerts in the 1970's and hanging around race tracks worries me a bit. I know my hearing is spot on in the other areas.

It's not so much as the bass alone. A concrete or granite slab will in comparison to an Auralex (or a Townshend, which is much more expensive) sound like it's cutting off the midrange and the music will sound more abrupt. When you take it off and put an auralex under, it will sound as if the music is beginning to flow, and there will be more extension.

That system is long gone now, but it worked fine with marble when I had it. I suspect that a surface neither too hard or too soft would work best.

+1. I had granite slabs under mine and it made a significant improvement with tightening up the bass and overall bass detail.

Latest posts

Back