So the (digital) source is incoming!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Although perhaps not as exciting as the speaker news, I do have a piece of news to share with you friendly people. I have decided on my source. Now this may come as a surprise to many of you but I have had my eye on this source for a while and while no longer a reference level at this time, it has been for a while in the past.

I know I was very set on an Esoteric K1, but there was one thing that it did have that I wanted and it was dsd... Which the K1x has. I would buy the K1x but I don't like being an early adopter as that usually means large depreciations when resale comes along and I'm not prepared to pay $16 for a unit and sell it back at $8 someday.

I have thought about the EMM Labs xds1 but again, some limitations in the digital inputs - maybe better in next version.

I guess what I'm saying is that all the options I looked at had compromises one way or another... So when this particular Cdp with digital inputs came up, I couldn't say no.

Please join me in welcoming the Cary 306SACD!!!!

Per my conversation with Gary Gordon, I've already contacted Cary and I have quote on future services should it need it. It was recently (last month) checked over and had the tray repaired so I think I am looking at a solid and fully functional unit. I hope it arrives in great condition!

I put (digital) in brackets because I know Pops aka Dave will want me to get a vinyl source soon. Hahaha!

image.jpg

Obligatory pic...

I put (digital) in brackets because I know Pops aka Dave will want me to get a vinyl source soon. Hahaha!

in due time my friend..... in due time !

Good luck with the Cary, I'm still getting superb duty out of my 303/300

Thanks pops...

The unit is enroute... Man next week is going to be exciting here at my house! Now... Room treatments...

Congrats Joey. What have you been thinking about for the analog side of the equation?

I have been thinking of something like SME? If I can get my hands on a good VPI HRX, would enjoy that too I think...? Not very good with analog so I got some work to do researching.

Btw, you got some GIKs? 242 or 244? I think 244 is too thick for my room...

Thanks pops...

The unit is enroute... Man next week is going to be exciting here at my house! Now... Room treatments...

I am rebuilding the media room, pulling up the carpet and putting down hardwood. I am redesigning the walls. I may have some left over acoustic panels that I will need a good home.

Hey Burke,

What kind of panels do you have? I'm no longer in Chicago btw.

Got some GIKs coming next week.

Joey, if you don't already have a collection of LPs, I suggest that you think carefully before getting into vinyl. It's a lot of work tweaking, etc.

I sometimes think of getting out of vinyl, but then I put on an LP, and it all changes. But, I have about 500 of them.

Joey, if you don't already have a collection of LPs, I suggest that you think carefully before getting into vinyl. It's a lot of work tweaking, etc.

I sometimes think of getting out of vinyl, but then I put on an LP, and it all changes. But, I have about 500 of them.

Sell your TT and get a Lampi Bernard. That said, I might have to get into TT at some point to find out what works and what does not. I like doing that

Sell your TT and get a Lampi Bernard. That said, I might have to get into TT at some point to find out what works and what does not. I like doing that

I warn you it has the potential to cost you an absolute fortune. Don't say I didn't warn you:)

It may well sucker you and pull you in. Some things will sound even better on vinyl than a Lampi. Most stuff will not. It's that stuff that does that may well get to you.

I warn you it has the potential to cost you an absolute fortune. Don't say I didn't warn you:)

It may well sucker you and pull you in. Some things will sound even better on vinyl than a Lampi. Most stuff will not. It's that stuff that does that may well get to you.
Justin, I'm not going anywhere near the Lampizator at c. $7,000. There are other things in life on which to spend my money, such as vacations in Costa Rica, and other mundane things like food, underwear, etc.

I am taking my Lampi over this weekend to compare to a guy's VPI classic. His Focal maestro Utopias are at 17 ft from each other. Mostly into classical.

Justin, I'm not going anywhere near the Lampizator at c. $7,000. There are other things in life on which to spend my money, such as vacations in Costa Rica, and other mundane things like food, underwear, etc.

Underwear tops the list Bernard...

Yeah my good friend Gordon and I had this conversation.... time to let the hardware simmer and just get some more software.

Beg to differ, Audiophila is not much about the music, it is about the play in hardware. Those into music should have a simple set up left unchanged for years (get a Linn), and spend more time in concerts and on youtube. If you have desires to upgrade, swap, demo, see what works and what doesn't, you are an audiophile into hardware

If you go on to the Gramophone records forum, you will see how differently people chat as compared to any hifi forum

I am taking my Lampi over this weekend to compare to a guy's VPI classic. His Focal maestro Utopias are at 17 ft from each other. Mostly into classical.

Lampi should trash it IMHO quiet passage type classical is intolerable on anything but really pristine vinyl. Even then it isn't great.

So much depends on how things were mastered that the vinyl or digital version can have a major advantage and therefore comparisons may lead to false conclusions.

Beg to differ, Audiophila is not much about the music, it is about the play in hardware. Those into music should have a simple set up left unchanged for years (get a Linn), and spend more time in concerts and on youtube. If you have desires to upgrade, swap, demo, see what works and what doesn't, you are an audiophile into hardware

If you go on to the Gramophone records forum, you will see how differently people chat as compared to any hifi forum
I don't agree with that. Audiophilia has degrees, ranging from Simpatico to Nervosa.

At the Simpatico end are the music lovers (like me), who want to listen to good reproduction of music, and will make a change after much consideration when something better comes along.

At the Nervosa end are the obsessive-compulsive people who are constantly swapping equipment, and constantly doing evaluation, but ultimately don't spend any time relaxing and enjoying music. So, yes, for them it's not about the music, it's about the equipment, but where's the enjoyment in that?

Have you ever looked closely at audiophiles evaluating equipment in an audio store? They look like they're suffering from constipation!

Last edited:
Back