So the speaker is incoming!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, have a lot of work to do. I think bass is a little light... enough bass but I may be sitting in a null zone.

I think if no matter how I position, if I feel a lack of bass, then that means I'm a bass head. If I can get the sound to be how I like it minus the bass, then I am probably meant for the 800 diamond after all.

Also, I gotta buy more music, lol... I also need to get some streaming capability up as well.

Edit:
As for the rack, I'm not sure yet but I need to get something good and reliable.

Hi Joey,

Please remember that too much mid / low bass can negatively impact everything above those frequencies.

Try moving your listening chair to see if you can find the right tonal balance.

GG

Thanks guys, have a lot of work to do. I think bass is a little light... enough bass but I may be sitting in a null zone.

I think if no matter how I position, if I feel a lack of bass, then that means I'm a bass head. If I can get the sound to be how I like it minus the bass, then I am probably meant for the 800 diamond after all.

Also, I gotta buy more music, lol... I also need to get some streaming capability up as well.

Edit:
As for the rack, I'm not sure yet but I need to get something good and reliable.

B&Ws do well with subs from a room corrector. They will really sound good if you ask Ken (RUR) to help you with a Trinnov and two subs. The bass will be deep and accurate, you will really hear music down below

B&Ws do well with subs from a room corrector. They will really sound good if you ask Ken (RUR) to help you with a Trinnov and two subs. The bass will be deep and accurate, you will really hear music down below
No need for an expensive Trinnov if good bass is all he's after. A few hundred for some measurement gear and a miniDSP 2x4, coupled with any decent sub would probably do the job.

No need for an expensive Trinnov if good bass is all he's after. A few hundred for some measurement gear and a miniDSP 2x4, coupled with any decent sub would probably do the job.

With his Joeyitis he will upgrade to Trinnov anyway heh

Comparing 802D spec with 800D there is very little in it extension wise. 30Hz ish is all you seem to really get.

Maybe Joey likes more quantity as opposed to genuine extension. JRiver PEQ I reckon before blowing loads on sub's.

Try the first before going for subs. That will cost.

Joey, some bass traps in the front corners should bring back the bass.
Steve, if he's got a null or SBIR effect below 100Hz, no (reasonable) amount of absorption or EQ will fix it. Only moving his mains or LP and/or adding a sub in the right location can do that.

Measurements are the best first step.

Comparing 802D spec with 800D there is very little in it extension wise. 30Hz ish is all you seem to really get.

Maybe Joey likes more quantity as opposed to genuine extension. JRiver PEQ I reckon before blowing loads on sub's.

Try the first before going for subs. That will cost.

Again, PEQ may or may not be the right answer and, even if it is, we need measurements to determine the CF/Q/Gain so that we apply the right filter(s).

Steve, if he's got a null or SBIR effect below 100Hz, no (reasonable) amount of absorption or EQ will fix it. Only moving his mains or LP and/or adding a sub in the right location can do that.

Measurements are the best first step.

Agreed, measurements are the best first step. Just saying, when I put some traps on the front corners I got the bass that I didn't have prior.

I am not a B&W fan and find them bass light but whenever I heard them with room correction and subs they sound great

Again, PEQ may or may not be the right answer and, even if it is, we need measurements to determine the CF/Q/Gain so that we apply the right filter(s).

He could just do it by ear first. Cheap. I really don't think Joey is that techy. Just tell him the PEQ parameters to add say +5DB at various frequency ranges.

I would do what you say Ken cos I have already done it. But Joey? Hm suspect not for him.

Congrats, those are beautiful. I'd recommend pulling them out from the front wall by ~1' or more if possible, will help with bass definition once you get the null spot issue fixed.

image.jpg
You may want to consider this rack, by Silent Running Audio.

View attachment 17846
You may want to consider this rack, by Silent Running Audio.

SRA racks are really good. I did hear from the Mook distributor that one of his clients who owned the SRA bought the mook resonators to go on top. Want to visit his place, in London. Guy has CAT gear too, and I think Vivid. Those Sonus Fabres look awesome btw.

Assuming this is an option, all the good doctor has to do is to move speakers around and chair around to find the best spot for speakers and chair.

It is sort of a chicken and egg process but, with some patience, can be done fairly easily. Probably best to have two people. Should go much quicker.

Can validate with SPL meter and test disc containing frequency "tone" info.

Fixed the bass issue guys - I was using the wrong taps on the Cary 211FE. The 802 Diamonds are an 8 ohm speaker - once I put it on the 8 ohm taps on the rear of the amps, the sound has been remarkably improved and the bass is back. I switched back to 4 ohm just to double check and the bass was very loose and limp on it... no impact.

I would say if the bass was 5/10 before, now it's like a 9/10. It was not a null or placement issue, it was that I used the wrong taps. No wonder it sounded weird.

Now, on 8 ohm taps I am very satisfied with the bass.

I am playing with the set up, but it is definitely moving in the right direction. I have added 1/2 of my set of GIK treatments as of yesterday and although I was only able to listen for 20 minutes before heading to bed, it was a step in a very right direction.

I am headed to Chicago next week for my daughter's birthday party and will head up north to listen to the Strads one more time, after that I will know which direction I will want to go. The speakers sound good, but I want better - so it's either going to be 800 diamonds or Strads.

I just bought my wife an iMac 27" 5K yesterday for her birthday - it was 2 birds with 1 stone type deal.... she gets a new computer and I get a bass of operations to run all my FLAC, all 100GB of it.

Latest posts

Back