So the speaker is incoming!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
It may not be what you guys expected after all the hoopla and posts and threads about the BW800 diamonds vs the Sonus Faber Stradivari. The Strads held out a lead over the 800 diamonds to my ears but the rarity of getting a good pair on audiogon meant that I needed to change my plan a bit.

So I figured I might as well try to purchase the 800 diamonds locally from my AD. Then I got to start thinking, if I purchase the 800 diamonds, then I am pretty much pigeon-holed. It's not a place I want to be if I've never heard that speaker in my newly done room... what if it doesn't sound the same that I thought it would sound? What if did not meet my expectations? Then what? Sell at a big loss??

Nah... so this is where I decided that we needed a reference level speaker that has a broader audience/buyers base so it is easier to flip and easier to live with given a more diminutive size. That speaker was the 802 diamond!

So I did it, I bought a pair from audiogon and they are being wrapped and ready to be freighted any time now! I am so excited...like a baby!!!

Think of this 802 diamond as my trial pair to jumpstart the system... then there are many ways to go about this - buy the 800 diamonds or the 802 will hold me over until the next version of the 800 diamond comes out and then I SNAP those!! Bwahahahah.....

802 could also be antithesis to the Strads should a pair of good priced Strads show up on the audiogon soon.

Without further adieu, here are the pics thus far...

Last edited:
Cool stuff , Joey. Your wife will like them too, diamonds are a girl's best friends

Smart move and I have always liked 802.

Joey, depending on how big your room actually ends up being when all is said and done, you may find that you actually like the 802's better than the 800's. I've got a good friend who ended up with the 802's (not Diamonds). He tried the 800's, but they simply overloaded the room and never quite settled in. The 802's are a damn fine sounding speaker.

Wow! Congrats Joey. Have fun!! I am sure they will like your front end!!

I envy you I want a pair but just simply can't afford them now being retired and on a fixed income. Im sure u will enjoy them keep us in touch on your progress!

Hahahaha thanks guys!

I'm afraid the virus is alive and well. I already have plans for system revisions. This is my first step of many, I want to see what I've built here and hear it in my own room under my own conditions.

It is true, I am eyeing the 800 diamonds whether this version or the next. We all know that I've already given the Tad R1 a shot but no go. There's still the search for the right Strad to pop up. I've been talking behind the scenes with Gary and I decided to take a really really no brainer deal on a source.... Unfortunately not the K1 or the XDS1.

I got time, and hopefully I'll get to enjoy these in good health. Audio is alive and well in the Joey household... After being gone since 2008, thank goodness it's back!

Hahahaha thanks guys!

I'm afraid the virus is alive and well. I already have plans for system revisions. This is my first step of many, I want to see what I've built here and hear it in my own room under my own conditions.

It is true, I am eyeing the 800 diamonds whether this version or the next. We all know that I've already given the Tad R1 a shot but no go. There's still the search for the right Strad to pop up. I've been talking behind the scenes with Gary and I decided to take a really really no brainer deal on a source.... Unfortunately not the K1 or the XDS1.

I got time, and hopefully I'll get to enjoy these in good health. Audio is alive and well in the Joey household... After being gone since 2008, thank goodness it's back!

Wow, so glad to know that we never did go off topic on that Esoteric thread

So what is the source?

Let me guess, you are buying GG's Cary

Almost, but Gary wasn't selling in the end. But his conversation with me was very influential on my decision to go with the Cary 306 SACD.

Especially since I had experience with the 306/200 and it was a very positive one as well at that time.

Good to make decision on speakers! Did you not consider MLs!!!? Some people really rate them!!!!!!!

Good to make decision on speakers! Did you not consider MLs!!!? Some people really rate them!!!!!!!

Oh, I've had MLs for years my friend... long before you were a member on this site of ours. One day, stats will return to this household. Just not yet.

Hahahaha thanks guys!

I've been talking behind the scenes with Gary and I decided to take a really really no brainer deal on a source.... Unfortunately not the K1 or the XDS1.

Hi Joey,

Glad I was able to help. I think you made the absolute best decision at this point in time. You need to get the system up and running and get used to the inherent sound thereof. Please don't forget the suggestions I made in yesterdays e-mail. Once you're there, you will have a much better foundation and will be able to make a better informed decision when and if you start swapping out gear. Time and patience is your friend.

By the way, my first name is Gordon, not Gary.

Best,

Gordon

Latest posts

Back