Newbie... amp advice welcomed!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kibosh

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Just bought a used pair of ML aerius i as my first endeavour into esl speakers and Martin Logan!
I'm 42 y/o based in London UK have dabbled in hifi since my mid teenage years.
I'm a bit of a heathen to some as I sold all my vinyl more than 20 years ago along with my turntable.
I've been a cd man ever since and an iTunes computer audio man for about 7 years using lossless files.

I've recently moved house and have split my old system from an AV/HiFi set up back to two separate systems... which brings me to my amplifier quandary.

Before I bought my aerius speakers I'd bought an old pair of Tannoy DC3000 to replace a pair of Neat Motive 1 speakers. These were driven my now temporary amplifier: a Naim Nait 5i

The Neats were difficult to drive and didn't suit my room acoustics so they've gone. The DC3000s are far easier to drive but I'm not convinced by the sound of either Naim or Tannoy. The Tannoys are too heavy in bass and too dry in tone for my ears.

So, I'm to sell the Nait and want to replace it with a power amp. It drives the MLs ok, but I'm convinced that the MLs require much more power to get the best out of them. I've recently upgraded my DAC which doubles up as a preamp; that's a Beresford Caiman mk2 that I run on DC via a battery pack.

I'll be buying the amp second hand and don't want to spend much initially...

So my thoughts are:

Quad 606 - British Classic, "current dumping" amp rated at 140w into 8ohm
JungSon Hedo - Chinese Class A rated at 80w into 8ohm
I've ruled out valves for the moment

Any thoughts / suggestions would be most welcomed indeed.
If anyone is local to north London and has anything spare/unused going that might suit then I'd love to hear from you as well.
Budget is about £400

Last edited:
There is a sticky in the General Discussion area about amp choices for ML's. Check it out and see which of your choices listed meet the recommended criteria. Good luck with your choice.

There is a sticky in the General Discussion area about amp choices for ML's. Check it out and see which of your choices listed meet the recommended criteria. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks - is that under the "amplifiers" section?
What's a "sticky"?
Damn newbies!!

Latest posts

Back