Blown reQuest woofer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Age, these are older speakers that may have been played hard or hard dynamic peaks at some time. I had to replace a woofer on a Sequel from 1988 and it separated from the surround, after replacing it I got over excited with the music level and the other one separated from the surround. replace both !!

To the OP, why save a few bucks with such wonderful speakers, go with ML replacement woofers, you might have an issue and the great techs can talk you through it. Have you done anything like this before? Can you solder? Just asking...

Thank you! Yes, I have electronics background and have done mods on tube amps (Marshalls). The ML replacements will require modification to the cab. I love my SL3s and I'm typically in contact with Dana and decided to have the speaker re-coned and will also purchase one posted in another thread.

Update: Woofer ok, blown amp!

It turned out that with the speaker terminals lodged together, the left channel of my trusty old Classe' got fried. It still made sound, but at higher volume, it exhibit the scratching sound which led me to believe the problem lies with the woofer. Finally, I opened up the amp and saw that the 75 ohm resistor on the input board was "blown" literally! 1/2 of it was gone! The only way this resistor on the input board got blown is when the downstream, output transistors got shorted out and pulled too much power through it.
Making a long story short, I put back the ReQuest speaker, and replaced the solid-state amp with a Levinson 331. Now, everything is back to normal :) I will post my short venture on the quest for replacement amp in another post.

Much thanks for everyone who chimed in to help!! Much appreciated!

Maybe you got lucky and that resistor is the only damage, as a decent output stage should be able to power a short for a little while?

Well, an update on my SL3. Miller Sound did a fantastic job reconing the woofer. I am impressed with the quality of the work and super fast turn-around. And all for 85.00. As for sound, sounds just as good as if it were in the original condition.

Back