El34 - kt88 - 845

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaidman

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any listening experience between EL34/KT88 and 845 tube based amps and what sounded best with a ML Ethos? I'm using a Mystere IA21 with EL34PH tubes right now and it sounds great. My older Mastersound Compact 845 is under repair so haven't yet heard it with my ML Ethos yet considering keeping the Mystere.

El34

The el34 is my all time favorite i think they make things sound very dynamic and u are just there. Kt88 u can get a little more power but I think the sounds softer and to romatic. Now this my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree with me. El34's just have everything! If I ever get another tube amp it will definitely use el34's. Good luck on your decision

I was amazed at how similar an amp using KT88's running in triode mode sounded to my old amp using EL34's, which was not running in triode mode. When his amp wasn't running in triode mode, it did not sound like my old amp. So, the KT88 can sound like an EL34, but can also sound different, depending on the mode and of course, the amplifier design.

It really depends on the implementation... In my experience, the 845-based Cary 805C is better than my SixPac with 6 EL34s. Both of these amps produce 50 wpc, and they are designed to operate in the linear range instead of being pushed hard to produce high wattage. The Cary 805 is too rich for my pocket book so I am "settling" for the SixPac monoblocs. I am sure your Mastersound 845 will give the Mystere a run for the money. I've auditioned other KT88, KT90, 6550 based amps (CJ, ARC, etc...) in my system, but the SixPacs won out due to the robust design, leveraging 6 (count 'em) EL34 in triode mode to produce a measly 50 watts. Again, this is just my preference toward the sweet sound produced by the simple EL34 in triode mode. Others may prefer the transparency and clarity of the KT88 or KT90s. Your mileage may vary...
For the benefit of other readers, we're only talking about these tube amplifiers driving the panels and not full-range. The OP's Ethos have internal bass amp to driver the woofers and I have a bi-amped system with SixPacs driving the panels, Classe' driving the woofers.

Thanks Spike. My Mastersound needs repair from a blown tube that caused a resistor to melt. Its not expensive but I am liking the Mystere. I have never heard the Mastersound with electro stats though.

It really depends on the implementation... In my experience, the 845-based Cary 805C is better than my SixPac with 6 EL34s. Both of these amps produce 50 wpc, and they are designed to operate in the linear range instead of being pushed hard to produce high wattage. The Cary 805 is too rich for my pocket book so I am "settling" for the SixPac monoblocs. I am sure your Mastersound 845 will give the Mystere a run for the money. I've auditioned other KT88, KT90, 6550 based amps (CJ, ARC, etc...) in my system, but the SixPacs won out due to the robust design, leveraging 6 (count 'em) EL34 in triode mode to produce a measly 50 watts. Again, this is just my preference toward the sweet sound produced by the simple EL34 in triode mode. Others may prefer the transparency and clarity of the KT88 or KT90s. Your mileage may vary...
For the benefit of other readers, we're only talking about these tube amplifiers driving the panels and not full-range. The OP's Ethos have internal bass amp to driver the woofers and I have a bi-amped system with SixPacs driving the panels, Classe' driving the woofers.

Latest posts

Back