New member from NYC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike99

Reaction score
Hi.
Hoping to be a new owner of Montis + Stage X soon.

I currently have B&W CM series with 2 JL Audio F112's.

I have been looking to upgrade for some time but had been looking at other companies mainly because I do more HT than music....

My last comparison was Montis versus B&W 803D... Montis had much better imaging...

And hence looking to possibly upgrade within 1 month.

Welcome spike99,
Always good to have another ML fan in the NYC area...
I've actually become a bit curious about B&W's CM series (don't tell my ML Vantages), so I'm curious why you're switching from them. What amps did you use to drive them? What preamp?

How was the imaging compared Montis? What (if anything) do your CM9s do better than the MLs?

Very interested in hearing your thoughts...

CM series -- CM 8 Fronts, CM Center & CM1's surrouds
AMP - XPA 5
Pre-pro - Integra 80.3

I have checked B&W CM10, 804D & 803D... I also checke Legacy Audio (Signature SE)... Much better build quality than B&W and very dynamic...

I also checked Salk audio... they seem very good but didn't get a chance to listen... but almost pulled the trigger on them...

What gets me with ML... is the imaging... The sales guy told me that it has to do because there only 1 cross over......

Hopefully within a month I get the funds to get into them :)

BTW, unsure if I should post in main....
I currently cross my CM8 at 130Hz... Freq response looks better at this freq cross over. If I set CM8 full frequency they sound like book shelf speakers. Since I have 2 JL Audio F112's... Would it be better setting Montis at full range, cross them at 40Hz or check freq response and change until result is flattest and possibly go as high as 130Hz?

We all are victims of ML bug. Because when it comes to imaging, transparency and accuracy of human voice and strings, nothing can touch a stat ML speaker. I hope you end up buying the Montis.

Latest posts

Back