ESLs and Theater Center Placement and panels Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday

Reaction score
So I have had my system for a little while now and just don't think it is performing up to what It can. I took some pics that I am going to show you my front stage.. I need some help and opinions on what I should do as far as placement and sound panels.

Ok My setup is:

Logan ESLs
Logan Theater
Logan Motion 10 for rears
Onkyo 818 Avr
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Power Sound and Audio XV15.

Ok First I want some tips on the center channel. Do you guys think I should move it towards the front of the stage or move it closer to the screen.? Also should I make some Panels of 2 or 3 Inch thick roxul safe and sound to put behind it? IMG_3621.jpg

Next would be my ESLs. I can pull them out from the wall on the stage which is about 3 feet from the back wall on the top platform.. Should I treat behind them ? As you can see I used black out Velvet around my screen to stop reflections but I think I am going to rip it all off and redo it. Right now I just have Roxul safe and sound in the corner superchunk for bass traps.IMG_3619.jpg
IMG_3620.jpg

Another Option could be .. I could bring the ESL down on to the second level which would make them around 5 Feet from that back wall. Which is the sweet spot that most talk about..

Now the thing is Behind that I have super chunk bass traps. DIY of course and not the best but I plan on ripping all of that down and redoing that wall. I am going to frame it all this time. So being 5 feet from the wall should I just stick with the corner trap and leave the rest of the wall untreated?

hmmm. I would've went with a bigger ML for your mains. The Electromotion ESL's seem very small for that room.

While I would of loved to go bigger I kind of scraped every penny for a while to purchase these. I just had my first child which is 9 months old now. So therefore my days of buying what I wanted went out the door.

I am just getting back around to messing with my equipment. I have only watched one movie since she was born.

My room is not really that massive. It's only about 19 feet long. Any tips on the wall treatment would be appreciated.

I would hate to try to sell these because my Esls have less then 30 hours on them.

Lots of views but knowone cares to chime in?

I been doing lots of reading around the forum and before I start ripping apart my front wall I would like to atleast have a few tips it would be greatly appreciated .

FWIW My center is the much smaller Motif, but I found it operates much better in "free air". I originally had it sitting on its stand on top of the low av cabinet which was pulled away from the front wall a couple of feet. Now it's suspended on brackets above my much-smaller-than-yours tv screen and it's much happier.

My Vistas are a little more than 5' from the front wall and I've reduced the tilt down to 1 degree so now my ears are lined up at just about mid esl panel (if a laser were mounted squarely on the esl aimed outward).

Hi, I think I can help here a bit.

First, you need to rise that center up as high as you can short of blocking the screen from the first row. It is currently waaaay to low!

Second, you will want to put sound absorbent material below your screen and directly behind the center. One of the the things that kills dialog intelligibility is the reflected sound from the centers rear-wave. Dampen the heck out of the wall behind it.

Third, same advice for the L/R speakers. I can't see from the pics, but it looks like it's just black paint on the walls behind them, right?

If so, then you are just not getting the right imaging these speakers can deliver. Please take a look at my system and some of my posts on acoustic treatments, and you will see that for HT, you need to pay very close attention to how the rear wave is manged. Not sure how into the tech of audio you might be, but dipoles are tricky to use for HT. One can get excellent results, but it takes effort.

Lastly, since I have an 818 in my secondary system, I can offer some advice there as well. Have you run Audyssey yet on the receiver? If so, did you follow the recommendations I put in this extensive thread on how to do room correction setup with ESLs?

BTW- Looks like a nice room to enjoy movies in, you obviously have a JVC PJ as well. Getting a few things adjusted will really make that a nice experience.

Very nice room! I have the same speakers. They might be a little small for that room,maybe not. But the next step up is a lot of money. If is sounds good to you and fills the room,that's all that matters. I have an onk 818 also. Great receiver. I bet music sounds awesome in there also. Having a dedicated theater,Motion 60 XT's might have been the better choice with the 50XT center.

Latest posts

Back