Sound Stage Issue

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably wasn't clear. If the sound is more prominent to the right, try moving your right speaker back a little. The distance each speaker is to your ears has a huge effect on the apparent soundstage.

I see. You were suggesting to move one relative to the position of the other and not move them both together.

Try sitting so that the distance from chair to speaker is about 1.1 times the distance between the speakers (measured between the spots where the flashlight reflections are).

Regards,

Guido F.

I see. You were suggesting to move one relative to the position of the other and not move them both together.

Correct. It will make up for the difference in reflected sound by giving more direct sound from one side versus the other. It is a quick and easy way to compensate somewhat for uneven acoustics.

Correct. It will make up for the difference in reflected sound by giving more direct sound from one side versus the other. It is a quick and easy way to compensate somewhat for uneven acoustics.

I think I got this sort of working, but the sound stage had a VERY narrow range where it worked and moving my head forward and backwards moved it around quite a bit.

I guess that makes sense given the speaker placement. Maybe I can try a less drastic fore/aft change and cant the right speaker out again but less.

Don't know if this helps in your situation RCHeliGuy, but I found out today (actually, it's tomorrow - after midnight now) that my tv screen was affecting the soundstage. My Vistas are 5'-5" from front wall to front of esl panel, and the tv screen is now 2'-2" behind the front of esl panels, the tv was about 10" behind before. The closer I move the tv toward the front wall, the better the sound stage, so I'm compromising by leaving it in the location it is now.

I've also played with tilt. Right now the panels are only tilted back 1 degree. The toe is factory recommended 1/3 flashlight method. I'm still playing with the tilt and toe for the next couple of days while on vacation. I've been waiting for this time off work to devote time toward improving things.

Back