Uh oh.... Now what ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Ok... So I e set up my little server. I still love physical media. But what to do when I have a remaster on cd vs a 24/96 download of the same remaster ?? Good example is springsteen or Beatles remasters. What to do!!

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you asking about how to prevent overwriting a file that is already present in your library?

I use iTunes and Pure Music. I just go into iTunes before I transfer the Hi Rez file over and change the title on the existing version to say something like "Beatles - Help (CD version)" and then when I bring the other file over I tag it as "Beatles - Help (Hi Rez)".

Is that what you mean?

I love the posts about ripping / streaming. It's so simple, easy, and user friendly. :eek:

Hahaha. No. I'm not that big of an idiot!! :). What I mean is I like the physical media but then I see a higher res download. Reminds me of tommy lee jones in men in black when he says 'looks like I have to buy another copy of the white album'.

Ok... So I e set up my little server. I still love physical media. But what to do when I have a remaster on cd vs a 24/96 download of the same remaster ?? Good example is springsteen or Beatles remasters. What to do!!

What you do have to do is be careful that the 24/96 version is not just the CD version upsampled. There is a bit of that going around.

I love the posts about ripping / streaming. It's so simple, easy, and user friendly. :eek:

It really actually is, Gordon :)

Apropos this post - I'm sure you face exactly the same issue when you find a CD and SACD version of the same album. And maybe a vinyl version, and a DVD-A, and a 180g vinyl version, and a HDCD version, and then along comes a remastered CD version. That's an issue with the record companies and has nothing do do with streaming media.

But if you can get the master "file" (a la Linn records, etc) whatever it may be, then there is nothing you can do to get any better than that.

Last edited:
What it boils down to is once you have things set up you are good to go. Sure there are bumps because of misunderstandings etc ... But it is fun Gordon!! Put your toe in the water!! :) I have reached the precipice I think where I want the best recording in some cases yet it doesn't reside on physical media !!

Hahaha. No. I'm not that big of an idiot!! :). What I mean is I like the physical media but then I see a higher res download. Reminds me of tommy lee jones in men in black when he says 'looks like I have to buy another copy of the white album'.

timm,

I wasn't saying you are. Comment was meant to be tongue and cheek.

Gordon

Timm,

Redbook cd is at the edge of being the best you can hear. If there is a remix, unless it's your favorite album forget about it. I have nearly 8000 albums on my main server and they are just fine. Think about it 20x8000 would be $160,000 so lucky for me that I don't find much difference. FYI, I also use a MacBook Pro as a portable server and a Halide Design cable/DAC (USB to S/PDIF converter cable) which is well reviewed at about $500. Very user friendly and SQ is very good. This has changed the way I listen to music. I rarely spin a cd anymore and I do like physical media. So if I spin, it is vinyl or MCh.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Gary

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back