Martin Logan Stage X pop noise upon waking up or turning off

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver305

Reaction score
Hi there,
i just recently purchased a martin logan stage x in order to compliment my Montis and so far i am impressed to say the least. However, i hear this loud pop when the speaker wakes up or turns off. Is this pop normal? i didn't hear this with the motif x AT ALL and neither do the Montis. i am asking because i don't want it to be an issue when i could exchange it right now. I have heard that pop noises are normal if its an old or dirty panel, but this speaker is brand new.
Does anyone here experience this pop on the stage x upon the speaker waking up or going into standby? is this a cause for concern? or will the recommended 90-100 hrs of break in period make this pop go away? are there things that can make this speaker pop when waking up or going into standby ?

Last edited:
Hola. I have a Stage X too. It is normal due to their sensitivity. What you are hearing is the power amplifier capacitors charging and dis-charging. It is normal, and it will not harm your Stage X. Why you did not with the Motif? Because the Stage X is different electronically and it is sensitive to those transients. Happy listening!

Hola. I have a Stage X too. It is normal due to their sensitivity. What you are hearing is the power amplifier capacitors charging and dis-charging. It is normal, and it will not harm your Stage X. Why you did not with the Motif? Because the Stage X is different electronically and it is sensitive to those transients. Happy listening!

I actually think i figured out why the stage makes a slight pop noise. It is because i am using an oppo 103d as my preamp (until the 8802 arrives) and i am going RCA out of this player into the power amplifiers. I believe the pop happened because i first turned on my power amplifier and then i turned on the oppo so the oppo powering on could be emitting something out of the RCA outputs that makes the power amp go "pop" and this signal is passed to the speaker. I will try turning on the bluray player first and then the power amp to see if i get the 'pop" noise.
So far i love the stage x so i am slowly breaking it in at 90 db as the instructions recommend. I am curious as to how the sound will improve with time.

Stage x wake up

Roberto is probably correct but I feel this should not be happing u should contact martin logan and talk to scott gribble on what it's doing. Do ur speakers do this?

Roberto is probably correct but I feel this should not be happing u should contact martin logan and talk to scott gribble on what it's doing. Do ur speakers do this?

No the montis don't make this noise. Neither did the motif x. However, I think it's the fact that I'm using a crappy 103d as my preamp so each time I turn it on it passes a pop noise through it's rca outputs that travels to the amps and the to the center. I hope once I get a real processor, the Pop will be gone. Don't get me wrong, I almost have to turn everything off in my house in order to hear the pop. It's not a loud pop.

Back