Looking at Theos vs Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost of additional amplification and cabling is not a concern for me as I already have a bi-amp setup. Anyone know anything about the mid-priced ML subs or the older Depth descent line. I have another (probably very foolish) question...anyone have any experience w/ the ML wireless subs? I could get the Theos and a sub for quite a bit less than the Ethos.

The cost of additional amplification and cabling is not a concern for me as I already have a bi-amp setup. Anyone know anything about the mid-priced ML subs or the older Depth descent line. I have another (probably very foolish) question...anyone have any experience w/ the ML wireless subs? I could get the Theos and a sub for quite a bit less than the Ethos.

I don´t have experience with Theos + sub, but Ethos is very probably a better option in order to get the best soundstage. You may or may not be concerned by your amp. ML are not very friendly with the amplifiers, going down to 0,2 ohms. You should consider the amp in context with ML speakers no matter what the Watts. If you want to save money go for the Theos + sub. If you want a better stereo go for the Ethos :)

I think I am going to look for a pair of Ethos. Would you pay 2x for Ethos over Theos (pre-owned)?

I think I am going to look for a pair of Ethos. Would you pay 2x for Ethos over Theos (pre-owned)?

We all have different priorities and wallets, so only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Just make sure that you look at the whole system. If the Theos would also involve a subwoofer at some point for example that is something to consider.
Are your existing amps able to handle low impedances well? Would they power a Theos properly or leave you needing something more?

Audio is an area where people spend great deals of money past the point of diminishing returns, so justification is a nebulous thing. The question is whether you would be happy with the end result.

Yeah I know about diminishing returns...One reason why I typically buy pre-owned audio gear. From what I have read, there are a few others using W4S amplifiers with MLs, so I think it will be ok. I may get a different amp anyway to keep the 4 CH amp and active crossover with my current Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers, maybe try to sell the whole thing as a package, I don't know. Is it ok to discuss pricing on this forum? At some forums $$ talk is taboo.

Yeah I know about diminishing returns...One reason why I typically buy pre-owned audio gear. From what I have read, there are a few others using W4S amplifiers with MLs, so I think it will be ok. I may get a different amp anyway to keep the 4 CH amp and active crossover with my current Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers, maybe try to sell the whole thing as a package, I don't know. Is it ok to discuss pricing on this forum? At some forums $$ talk is taboo.

I have no idea about talking dollars. I know that I tried to optimize my system for a price point I had in mind and actually came in under budget. The OPPO 105D being both the DAC, digital input source and preamp seemed like a bargain and anything that simplifies signal path is a good thing :) The Ethos to me seemed like a bargain and the amplifier I got seemed like a bargain. I considered buying mono-blocks but ended up with a 2 channel amplifier because I could conceal it easily. I looked at used Bryston 4B SST's among others, but ended up buying new.

I did not see any specific warning about it so here goes. I can by a set of Theos for $2k. It looks like the going rate for Ethos pre-owned are around $4k. Seems like a pretty big difference.

I did not see any specific warning about it so here goes. I can by a set of Theos for $2k. It looks like the going rate for Ethos pre-owned are around $4k. Seems like a pretty big difference.

This is about your wallet. I can't tell you that the sonic excellence of one speaker is worth twice as much as another. The way they have them priced new The Ethos is approximately 50% more than the Theos. The Montis is 50% more than the Ethos. The Summit is 50% more than the Montis. Obviously Martin Logan has found this to be a good pricing strategy as people tend to have a specific price point that they are comfortable with and you don't want the speakers so close in price that it blurs distinction.

I've read people make comments like the Ethos has 90% of the goodness of a Montis. So by that reasoning 10% better equals 50% more money which seems to be the norm in audio equipment.

I don't expect this to answer any questions.

What I would suggest is that you take the time to find a Martin Logan Reserve dealer so you can hear the speakers side by side and make a decision based on what you can hear.

Last edited:
I have listened to them both. My impression was that I would definitely need a sub with the Theos. I used to have Magnepan MG12s. They had a similar low end to the Theos and I had to have a sub with them, it was a REL, I forget the model, I sold it when I sold the MG12s. They did not have the Montis, only Ethos and Summit X. I did not make them hook up the Summits as it was definitely out of my price range. I liked the sound of the Ethos as is. If I can find a reasonable deal on pair I think I am inclined to go that direction.

Stuff happens fast...I have a tentative deal for a pair of Ethos...I'll let you all know how it pans out. Thanks for your help with this. I appreciate all your comments.

Ethos are here...so far so good, except the other half had a fit when she saw them...

I am considering the Theos my local dealer is selling - his demo pair. I have 600W Bryston monoblocks - will they be OK with the low impedance and will the speaker be OK with high power?

I am considering the Theos my local dealer is selling - his demo pair. I have 600W Bryston monoblocks - will they be OK with the low impedance and will the speaker be OK with high power?

Yes and Yes !

let us know how you make out !

Yes and Yes !

let us know how you make out !

I decided to bring them home!

Just quickly hooked up next to my old Paragons while I get settled. So far sounds good and I haven't placed them properly yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440799331.037420.jpg

Back