How to isolate CD player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said that it sounded great when it was not skipping, so it sounds like stopping his system from skipping is his top priority.

I will agree that vibrations can matter if they are generating sound audible to the listener or putting stress on a component that leads it to fail. I hated the droning noises the hard drives in my old DVR's made. They resonated in my cabinets, so I sorbothaned them to shut them up :) Luckily my new DVR is solid state with no moving parts at all so there is no vibration anymore.

I'm very sensitive to sounds that shouldn't be there, so I can understand that.

BTW I've seen some CD drive mechanisms that are suspended with vibration isolating materials to help prevent skipping etc..

Last edited:
He said that it sounded great when it was not skipping,

It's all relative. I think the unit is likely vibrating prior to skipping. And that will compromise performance.

I strongly suspect it will sound better once the source component is totally isolated and not impacted by vibrations of any kind.

He should try some sorbo isolation, as a minimum, per your recommendation.

Regarding drive systems, I think my Esoteric CDP, in the process of burn in, has this feature.

By the way, welcome to the MLO website.

Much "nicer" than most sites I'm aware of.

Best,

Gordon

Last edited:
By the way, welcome to the MLO website.

Much "nicer" than most sites I'm aware of.

Best,

Gordon

Appreciated!

I'm currently involved with just one other forum that is RC Helicopter related. It is usually pretty good, and if not they have moderators who will step in and put a user in "time out" for a while or a give them a warning with teeth. However it is always better when the participants can be civil without police action :)

I will say one thing about my opinions. They are only what I believe right now based on my experiences to date and they are always in a state of flux.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Have a friend that was into RC heli stuff.

From what he told me, takes alot of coordination and knowledge to not crash and burn the unit. Many controls I gather.

And yes I'm the same way about state of flux. Audio is a wonderful hobby that provides many hours of enjoyment. And one should always speak from experience recognizing that each persons perspective will be different and what one says is only a personal opinion and not fact.

I think you will find that this forum does very well regarding "self policing". Tom D runs a good ship.

That is unless that "d..k head" Dave gets involved. :D

Gordon

Hi Mark,

Have a friend that was into RC heli stuff.

From what he told me, takes alot of coordination and knowledge to not crash and burn the unit. Many controls I gather.

I know this is way off topic, but I'll keep it to a minimum. This is my fleet.
The Banshee on the ground under my Henseleit TDR is #24 of 50 ever built and one of its brothers holds the RC Helicopter speed record of 173 mph and it cost me about what my Ethos did. I've only crashed that heli once. The larger Angry Bird heli is my primary beater and I run it hard and low.
It's a very challenging hobby with many learning curves and I really enjoy it :)
I'm done :)
Airfield.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy cool. My bucket list always had a copter on it. Now I've seen one example of what's possible. I've seen some drones that caught my eye. Especially 'smartones'. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crazy cool. My bucket list always had a copter on it. Now I've seen one example of what's possible. I've seen some drones that caught my eye. Especially 'smartones'. Thanks for sharing

Speed flying is typically pretty boring to watch. If you want to see what they are capable of these are better.

Clean flying ( Electric showing a Banshee being flown more artistically )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmT2x9Pf6EU

Competition with a nitro ( I personally hate smoke, but this is slower and easier to follow than some of the other performances. He switches to an electric at the midpoint )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etVAvET1HVg

Drones are not very challenging and while they can be somewhat acrobatic they are not anywhere near the collective pitch 3D helis.

Last edited:
Back