How to isolate CD player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jemplayer

Reaction score
The base pressure from my ML summits are causing my Cdp to skip at high volume when base energy is high. What would be a good way to isolate the player from these vibrations?

There is nothing wrong with the player, works perfectly right up till I am really pushing the volume, and seems to happen on certain songs that base is at a certain hertz, don't know what that is exactly, but disrupts the laser tracking, this much I do know.

Need to isolate it better, the question is how?

Hola...do you have your Summits with spikes? It looks that your floor is wood. If you do not want to scratch you floor, you could use some coins at the tip of the spikes. The spikes will isolate your Summits from the wood floor and will help to cut the unwanted waves to move the cd player. Also, you could get spikes for your CD player, avoiding the unwanted low frequency waves that are causing your cd to skip.

There are a lot of options...just google and choose the ones that suites to you the best. Happy listening!

Last edited by a moderator:
A good solid foundation for your equipment is key. There are also plenty of vibration absorption tweaks out there. The least expensive of those that actually work, IMO are the Vibrapods and Vibracones. There are many others from which to choose.

It's time to change to a networked music server. You can place it in another room at the other end of the house.

Not wood, it's concrete floor painted. Unit that the player sits on is very sturdy. Was custom made out of thick pine. Will have a look around and see what I can dig up on google.;-)

The hd idea is a good one, just don't have the patience to sit and rip everything. But, I know people who have a lot of flac lossless music...What the simplist way to do a music server, I may have just opened up a can of worms..

There are a lot of options...just google and choose the ones that suites to you the best. Happy listening![/QUOTE]

...What the simplist way to do a music server!

Simplest way? Get an Audioquest Dragonfly and plug it into a unused USB port in your laptop.

That's not the best way to do things though. There are hundreds of options so you'll have to search for what suits you best.

The base pressure from my ML summits are causing my Cdp to skip at high volume when base energy is high. What would be a good way to isolate the player from these vibrations?

There is nothing wrong with the player, works perfectly right up till I am really pushing the volume, and seems to happen on certain songs that base is at a certain hertz, don't know what that is exactly, but disrupts the laser tracking, this much I do know.

Need to isolate it better, the question is how?

You can 'float' the player on a small innertube, like from a wheelbarrow tire. Inflate the tube just enough to hold the player an inch or so off the tabletop.

You have to find out if its structure born or air born sympathetics, if its structure born a 10in bike innertube mite help otherwise get the player out of the room or go server

You could try to put something heavy on top of the CDP, making sure of course that you don't obstruct any ventilation holes. Or try moving the stand.

Two principles need to be addressed.

1) Internal component induced vibration. Footers under component / audio rack.

2) Air born / floor induced vibration. Speaker isolation.

Lots of ways to skin the kitty. Some cheap / some very expensive / lots in the middle from a cost perspective.

Let your ears be the guide as to what works best and doesn't compromise sound quality.

Good luck.

GG

You can 'float' the player on a small innertube, like from a wheelbarrow tire. Inflate the tube just enough to hold the player an inch or so off the tabletop.

Hmmm, I like this idea...

Also, someone else mentioned perhaps its was air pressure, in which case I would be a bit screwed. However, I would guess not as that there would be all kinds of this rattling and reverberating if this was the case, I think!?

Hi jem,

There are products that incorporate the "air bladder" isolation technology. Caveat emptor (buyer beware) as to price / performance returns.

With all due respect to Pete, I suspect this "home made" approach may have significant performance enhancing / implementation issues.

Good luck.

GG

You could try to put something heavy on top of the CDP, making sure of course that you don't obstruct any ventilation holes. Or try moving the stand.

Bernard,

I've tried this. Result is "it depends".

Need to listen and make system specific judgements.

Gordon

True. But I've found sorbo tends to sound soft and slow versus other products. I use Mapleshade brass cones as my preference.

Best bet on the cheap. Agree with Steve. See Post No. 3. Can order through Music Direct and other outlets with full money back guarantee.

True. But I've found sorbo tends to sound soft and slow versus other products. I use Mapleshade brass cones as my preference.

Best bet on the cheap. Agree with Steve. See Post No. 3. Can order through Music Direct and other outlets with full money back guarantee.

How could insulation make a CD player sound soft and slow?

There is no way that could have any impact. Either the drive mechanism is picking up the bits or it is not. Once the 1's and 0's are coming across nothing else matters.

Keep in mind that the appearance of square waves on an oscilloscope has ZERO impact on the sound quality.

As long as average area under the curve for the clock rate is past the minimum to latch a 0 or a 1 the job is accomplished.

Typically there are very healthy margins here such that you can have wave forms that look messy, but once a 1 or 0 is latched on the receiving side it doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a partial latch.

If you have enough noise on your lines that it can't tell the difference between a 1 and 0, your system has MAJOR issues.

Last edited:
Hi RCH,

Don't want to discuss theory and such. This is the classic "objective / subjective" discussion and I fall into the "S" camp. No resolution to this type of exchange.

All I can tell you is based on my personal listening experience in my room with my gear, that's what I hear.

All vibration attenuation devices have their own unique impact. What works (better sound) under one component may not work for another. Also and unfortunately, the more resolving and transparent your system is, the more likely you'll be able to hear the differences.

I trust we can agree to respectfully disagree.

Best,

Gordon

As long as you are enjoying music all is well with the world, but I'm trying to help solve the root problem.

As an electrical engineer who has worked with digital audio and understands what can and can not impact sound quality, I can only recommend the Sorbothane as a solution that will stop the CD player from skipping. The problem here is mechanical if his disk is skipping because of the bass from the speakers.

The Mapleshade brass cones will not even help him.
They are rigid blocks of brass and will transmit the bass into his player. If it skipping now, it will continue to skip.

The only way that they could possibly help is if he has such a lightweight CD player that the whole box is vibrating around in the cabinet and the brass feet happen to have just enough weight to stop that from happening. If this is the case he could just put a 10lb weight on top of it to hold it down. In fact that might be something he could try just for grins to see if it stops the skipping.

In either case the only issue is keeping the mechanical tracking mechanism reading the CD without being knocked out of alignment by a bass note. I would put odds on the sorbothane stopping the skipping.

For the record. I plan to stay clear of any threads that involve what cables, mounts, etc.. sound better. I'm not looking to interfere with what people enjoy. In this case I only spoke up because I wanted to help solve the issue at hand, not because I wanted to argue about personal preferences, and I only rebutted about the effect of the sorbothane because I saw that as potentially being counter productive to solving the problem at hand. I am not wanting to start trouble.

Last edited:
No worries RC. Not starting any trouble.

I've had good success (sonically) with brass cones under and some weight on top of the component.

Again, one needs to try and listen.

And frankly, this issue of skipping has much deeper implications as to overall sound quality even if the CDP does not skip.

Any vibrations, regardless of how small, will negatively impact sonic performance regardless of the piece of hardware in question. This is especially true with digital or analogue playback source devices.

GG

Latest posts

Back