A small bump in one of my panels(?)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
Hi, I have pretty new Montis (bought October 2014) speakers. I believe that I can feel a small bump in one of the panels - maybe 2- 3 cm long and a very few mm deep. I cannot see it without putting a lampe in a certain angle. I can barely feel it. If this is a defect it is from transport or from the factory (they are very well taken care of in this house).

My question is if this may be a natural part of the production (they are "hand made" ? ) , or if it is indeed a production feature. My biggest concern is this could, in the long terms, influence the panel life time.

Regards,
Redux

Hi, I have pretty new Montis (bought October 2014) speakers. I believe that I can feel a small bump in one of the panels - maybe 2- 3 cm long and a very few mm deep. I cannot see it without putting a lampe in a certain angle. I can barely feel it. If this is a defect it is from transport or from the factory (they are very well taken care of in this house).

My question is if this may be a natural part of the production (they are "hand made" ? ) , or if it is indeed a production feature. My biggest concern is this could, in the long terms, influence the panel life time.

Regards,
Redux

Hola. A picture will do better...send it in attention to Mr. Dana Brown at Martin Logan service department [email protected]

The problem is that I am not able to catch it on camera. I can only feel the bump.

IIRC, their freq response is measured after final assembly. I don't know at what point their serial numbers are applied, before or after FR measurement. A given pair of ESL panels (sequential serial numbers) is matched for age, materials, and 'break-in' in the sense that the pair were made at the same time under the same conditions, and then the stereo pair have been treated more or less the same over their lifetime, so they stay 'matched' until death. A single replacement panel would not be matched, and would be insufferable for my audiophilia nervosa.

It would be my educated guess that the SN is applied to the ESL panels before final assembly, and that the FR check is just a final QC step. Regardless, the panels in a pair are matched because they were at least from the same 'batch,' if not actually produced sequentially.

I agree with Tosh. Ideally that would be best. That said, I'd be very surprised if they replaced both. Plus, in the end, given your panels are 3 months old, I doubt you'd really hear the difference. If you're worried about channel disparity, might as well keep your current panels.

Joey...Martin Logan pairs their stat panels in a special anechoic chamber. A computer measurements are done, and testing for similar frequency response and intensity matched, they pairs them. This is the reason why you should change both stat panels. As an example, you could have one with a sensitivity at 1KHz +3 dB and another with a sensitivity of -3dB. This could make a difference of a total of 6dB...so you could hear this difference, having both around the same frequency response. Happy listening!

Joey...Martin Logan pairs their stat panels in a special anechoic chamber. A computer measurements are done, and testing for similar frequency response and intensity matched, they pairs them. This is the reason why you should change both stat panels. As an example, you could have one with a sensitivity at 1KHz +3 dB and another with a sensitivity of -3dB. This could make a difference of a total of 6dB...so you could hear this difference, having both around the same frequency response. Happy listening!
I expect ML has easily within 1dB (+/-0.5dB) in production variance for average sensitivity. But I would like to know exactly how they match pairs, and how close...

Latest posts

Back