First post and help with Aeon I - weak panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbox83

Reaction score
Hello fellow audiophiles...

My name is Caleb and I am new to the forum. I have owned a pair of ML Aeon I Electrostatic speakers for a few years now. I have always noticed that one of the panels puts out a weaker, and less timber output than the other. I have looked at the HV board for anything obvious (blown caps and what not) but nothing obvious, taken the panels off both and washed them... nothing seems to fix the issue and it has gotten worse over time. I have a pretty thorough technical knowledge and ability (build tube amps as a hobby) but I do not have an instrument capable of testing the HV board's output. I honestly don't know what else to look for. Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The last time I did they said I might need to replace the panel. Thats when I got the "bath" idea. They're MILES out of warranty.

I'm also a hands on person taking electrical engineering, I would likely figure out how to rebuild it before I did that.

Last edited:
Use a multimeter and hv probe (or 1000M ohm resistor to test voltage between the black and red panel wires at the terminal block. Should be between 17v and 30vdc (equal to 1700-3000vdc). If it shows lower on this speaker, there is likely a bad component in the hv ladder. Test both speakers and note the voltage difference, if any.

Back