Montis: I like them, but will they beat the Dynaudio C2 or even the C1?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the c1 will not even get close to the montis . it cannot even compete for depth and scale . if you get the right amp on a montis it is superb . I don`t have any problems with positioning or anything with my logans

if you want a BIG upgrade stick some Townshend vsss stands under the montis and watch them ROCK . make a big upgrade

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...-cinema-vibration-isolation-speaker-platform/

the c1 will not even get close to the montis . it cannot even compete for depth and scale . if you get the right amp on a montis it is superb . I don`t have any problems with positioning or anything with my logans

if you want a BIG upgrade stick some Townshend vsss stands under the montis and watch them ROCK . make a big upgrade

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...-cinema-vibration-isolation-speaker-platform/

I have been using Auralex Subdudes for my Montis and Depth i's, but those Townshend's are lovely. I just sent them an email on how to order.

Hi ho Silver ... Are you there or have you become the Lone Ranger?!
Some very good advice has headed your way. Along the lines of instal properly with attention to detail precise measurement of rake and distance form wall to each top corner of Montis. You seem to be at risk of becoming completely dizzy with too many variables. (Including multiple power amp types and assessments in the mix!) Unless you follow the suggestions in this thread I can't see how you will make any sensible speaker decision, whatsoever. The Montis is mighty and the instal though needing care and attention to detail is not difficult and assists careful listening. Once done suggest make no system changes for three weeks and listen to some music!!!
I think as a courtesy you might also respond thoughtfully to many of the previous posts trying to assist you, otherwise people may walk away and leave you ..Lone Ranging.

Dynaudio recently sold out to the Chinese. So has Vifa, Scan-Speak and Elac (through a shelf company). The only surviving major speaker manufacturing company left in Europe is Dali.

Dynaudio's C1 and C2 range are stupendous speakers. I don't know if it's fair to compare the C1 with the Montis - maybe the Summit might be a more appropriate competitor...

Very Interesting Thanx for the info

Hi there,

I have the Ethos and am wondering what is best for vibration attenuation? i find that on deep bass notes my hardwood floors vibrate. How can I eliminate this? Granite underneath Ethos on spikes? Auralex?

Thanks

Carlos

Hi silver,

Based on some 25 years of experience with four different ML models, 60" or so from the panel to the back wall seems to work quite well. And it's not only me. Others have tried this with much success. Seems to be the best place to optomize imaging, soundstage depth, and tonality.

Panel rake. Very near or vertical is my recommendation. Again, this is based on experience and has been confirmed by others. Can use the "string / plumb bob" method or buy a digital level.

Toe in. I'd start with the flashlight method so that reflection occurs with the "inner third" of the panel. Recommended by ML and others who have tried different positions. Key is to get solid center imaging while maximizing stage width. Vocals seem to be the easiest way to set but you can try some pink noise or other methods to confirm.

Back wall treatment. I don't favor absorption. Others like what it does. For me, it significantly compromises the "life and energy" of the musical presentation.

Powered bass driver adjustment. Very critical to get best sound. Too much bass or insufficient bass does impact everything.

Suffice to say I've done numerous hours of listening and the above guidelines have worked for me. Your Montis are very sensitive to all changes in position and it may take some time to find the "right" spot for you. Please make sure you measure distances and rake angle very carefully. It really does make an audible difference and the best thing is it's free expect for your time of course.

I would urge you to experiment. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course as with all things audio, YMMV.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun. :cool:

Best,

Gordon

PS: Vibration attenuation is also extremely important to fully realize performance.

Hola. To avoid vibrations, spikes are a must! If you read carefully the Ethos instructions, ML recommend to you to use the spikes for better bass, and will damp the floor resonances. Happy listening!

I have my Ethos spiked through carpet and it did make a difference.
After I have engineered hardwood installed, I'll try the rounded stock feet again and if there are issues I'll try spiking them to the Auralex Gamma isolated platforms.

I really need to get setup with room eq so I can see what is going on.

Hola. The knob of the bass level where it is? Perhaps you have too much bass energy. Bring it down to -6dB position, and listen. Remember the sound is logarithmic. Two instruments playing together produce the same SPL than one. If you have several instruments playing together, the increased total level is not more than only +3dB! What I am trying to say is if one makes 90dB of SPL, two should produce 180dB! but because sound is logarithmic, the total SLP is not added. Remains almost the same. Also, if you make an eq. at +85dB, the curve is different at only -+5dB. The materials reflects and absorbs the sound logarithmic too. Think of this.

Last edited:
I have my Ethos spiked through carpet and it did make a difference.
After I have engineered hardwood installed, I'll try the rounded stock feet again and if there are issues I'll try spiking them to the Auralex Gamma isolated platforms.

I really need to get setup with room eq so I can see what is going on.

The Auralex will do more than help with the spiking. The downward firing woofers, when the sound hits the hardwood floor or granite, it sounds like something is cutting the sound off. An auralex in between makes the music flow more. At least, that's what I found, and a couple of others who visited me made the same observation when I moved things around. The rounded stock feet not good enough. Try the spikes first, and later either move to stillpoints or track audio.

Hi there,

I have the Ethos and am wondering what is best for vibration attenuation? i find that on deep bass notes my hardwood floors vibrate. How can I eliminate this? Granite underneath Ethos on spikes? Auralex?

Thanks

Carlos

Carlos,

Send me a PM.

Gordon

PS: Agree with Bonzo

Personally, I found that double thickness E.V.A. Anti vibration pads (< 50 cents each) worked better than spikes. Greater sound clarity, better imaging, etc. Worth trying.

Guido F.

Hola. The knob of the bass level where it is? Perhaps you have too much bass energy. Bring it down to -6dB position, and listen. Remember the sound is logarithmic. Two instruments playing together produce the same SPL than one. If you have several instruments playing together, the increased total level is not more than only +3dB! What I am trying to say is if one makes 90dB of SPL, two should produce 180dB! but because sound is logarithmic, the total SLP is not added. Remains almost the same. Also, if you make an eq. at +85dB, the curve is different at only -+5dB. The materials reflects and absorbs the sound logarithmic too. Think of this.
Roberto, I think you made a misprint here. I am sure you will agree with me that since the dB scale is logarithmic, two instruments (or speakers) adding in-phase will give a 6dB increase in SPL, corresponding o a doubling in the sound energy. Other than that, you are right, that since two instruments (or speakers in a stereosystem) are playing different signals, they do not add in phase, so the SPL increase is lower than 6 dB. For stereo, a rule-of-thumb is 4dB increase in SPL over mono. It depends on the music, though.

I have been using Auralex Subdudes for my Montis and Depth i's, but those Townshend's are lovely. I just sent them an email on how to order.

yes I spoke with max the creator on Friday and said what a marvellous piece of kit they are
he now has some that are easier to move on carpet

Latest posts

Back