Which other center channel instead of the stage x?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver305

Reaction score
Hi all,
i am in the hunt for a center channel, but i don't feel the urge to spend 2400-3500 for a stage x. I thought about the stage, but i read somewhere the tweeter is really terrible and that some people have difficulty with it at certain volume levels. I am currently contemplating using another manufacturer that is a somewhat more affordable alternative to the stage x. Has anyone here done this? is there a particular type of center channel that blends well with the montis besides the stage ? Dynaudio, Goldenear, or any other brand that anyone else has tried with successful results?

thanks in advance!

I suggest sticking with an ML center, for the best tonality match with your Montis mains. Personally, I'm not aware of issues with the Stage X tweeter. If you feel that's indeed a problem, perhaps a used (non X) Stage might be an option. I have Summits with an original (non X) Motif as center, and it blends reasonably well for my (albeit occasional) home theater use.

I used to use a Fresco as a center with my Vista. When I moved to Montis, I purchased a Logan EM-C2 and it was a fine performer and matched well with the Montis.

I have since (a couple of weeks ago) purchased a Stage X and I find it superior to the C2 and an even better match for the Montis. I have zero problems understanding any dialog.

Last edited:
I bought a Stage new for half the price of a Stage X for my Theos. Best center I've had. Seriously doubt if someone snuck in the middle of the night and swapped if with a Stage X if I would ever know.

I agree with SubSolar, $1,500 for a brand new Stage from an authorized dealer was a steal. It's the only piece of my home theater system that I bought brand new... You can probably find one for a little less on ebay or CL.

Last edited:
I agree with SubSolar, $1,500 for a brand new Stage from an authorized dealer was a steal. It's the only piece of my home theater system that I bought brand new... You can probably find one for a little less on ebay or CL.

I read somewhere that the tweeter on it is a 7 dollar tweeter from parts express... Kind of turned me away from buying that unit.

I read somewhere that the tweeter on it is a 7 dollar tweeter from parts express... Kind of turned me away from buying that unit.
It is an inexpensive tweeter. They'll only charge you like 45.00 if you ever need a replacement. Having said that, I would be shocked if most tweeters weren't super cheap to make.

Email ML asking for a replacement for the Stage X, I'd be curious what the $ difference is.

It is an inexpensive tweeter. They'll only charge you like 45.00 if you ever need a replacement. Having said that, I would be shocked if most tweeters weren't super cheap to make.

Email ML asking for a replacement for the Stage X, I'd be curious what the $ difference is.

I agree, I'm sure most parts in audio tech are cheaper than people think.

Latest posts

Back