stuwee is a new owner of Summit's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuwee

Reaction score
I can't compete with GaryG's Neolith's by a long shot :bowdown: , I missed out on Tom's pair of Summit's. I had to have some and bought me a pair on the 'bay.

I asked many Q's and got the right answers, they were one owner, well taken care of. I'm a working Joe and get off work around 1am AZ time (no daylight savings here). I Don't have much money, but these are my dream speakers and damn! They are mine now! Shipping info soon. Please don't expect a awesome pic set like many others here have. I have a decent old house with a 16' X 27' listening room, slab floors covered in berber carpet, drop ceiling at about 7', 1 foot thick adobe walls on most sides, very dead room.

My gear for now is SAE A202 and SAE 2400 amps, SAE P102 and Yamaha CX-600U preamps, Thorens 125 MKII turntable with 3009 SME tonearm/Shure V15 IV cart, SAE 180 Parametric EQ, Denon 790-R and Teac 8000S cassette decks, cables are Tara Labs Emeralds and Speaker wire are old Monster Cables (might need advice on upgrading those :confused:).

I listen to everything but modern hiphop and lonely trucker on the road country (no offense to those who like that genre, just not my cup o'T). I am sooo freakin' excited to get these badboys playing I can't sleep!!

I will have some questions for you folks that know more than myself about set up and tweeks, I am a newbee to this house. I had Sequels in an almost perfect room in my last place. Thanks in advance...Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig, it starts with the Summits...Neolith in a few years to you too

Congrats, stuwee, or should I say Craig? 16 by 27 listening room? I'm jealous, that's a nice size room and the Summits should blossom there.

Hehe, thanks folks!! I'm sooo happy!! Dreams do come true!

Tom sorry about the ebay link you removed.

Congrats man... That's a larger room than mine. You will be happy I am sure. I had summits in the past and they are good speakers!

I think that room begs for... Neoliths!!!

Craig, congrats on your Summit's purchase. They are indeed a fine sounding speaker. That is a large room so you should be able to play with the set up to achieve great sound. I acquired my first audiophile system in 1974 when I purchased a pair of Pioneer CS-99 speakers, a Marantz 2270 receiver and a BSR turntable. Later that year I added a pair of ESS air motion transformer (AMT 1a's) speakers. Forty years later I'm still upgrading. That is the beauty of this hobby. Save the cable upgrade for last. Later when you're ready I would look at upgrading your source. Congrats again on acquiring your dream and enjoy.

GaryG

Last edited:
I can't compete with GaryG's Neolith's by a long shot :bowdown: , I missed out on Tom's pair of Summit's. I had to have some and bought me a pair on the 'bay.

I asked many Q's and got the right answers, they were one owner, well taken care of. I'm a working Joe and get off work around 1am AZ time (no daylight savings here). I Don't have much money, but these are my dream speakers and damn! They are mine now! Shipping info soon. Please don't expect a awesome pic set like many others here have. I have a decent old house with a 16' X 27' listening room, slab floors covered in berber carpet, drop ceiling at about 7', 1 foot thick adobe walls on most sides, very dead room.

My gear for now is SAE A202 and SAE 2400 amps, SAE P102 and Yamaha CX-600U preamps, Thorens 125 MKII turntable with 3009 SME tonearm/Shure V15 IV cart, SAE 180 Parametric EQ, Denon 790-R and Teac 8000S cassette decks, cables are Tara Labs Emeralds and Speaker wire are old Monster Cables (might need advice on upgrading those :confused:).

I listen to everything but modern hiphop and lonely trucker on the road country (no offense to those who like that genre, just not my cup o'T). I am sooo freakin' excited to get these badboys playing I can't sleep!!

I will have some questions for you folks that know more than myself about set up and tweeks, I am a newbee to this house. I had Sequels in an almost perfect room in my last place. Thanks in advance...Craig

Awesome Craig... as everyone said - Summits are great speakers...and I think they are going to love that dead room... But... my real question is..... an SAE 180 parametric Eq??? Is this the black one - with red lights on the band adjustments?? I had one of those back in the day.... It is so odd I have lost track of my gear over the years.... this included..... If it is indeed the one I am thinking... post a pic!! :) and of your summits of course when you get them!

Congrats, I had Summits a little while back and they are excellent speakers. the bass should easily dial in nicely in that big room, enjoy!

New Summit's

Congratulations, you should be stoked.

I went from reQuest's to the Summit's and it was definitely worth the money.

They are excellent speakers and I think after spending some chair time in front of them you will agree. I have friends with nice custom horn systems and although the summit cannot match the easy dynamic's and spl's the summits are refined and yet still able to rock.

Have had mine since 2008 and still cannot wait to get in front of them. One of the best audio purchases I ever made.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are excellent speakers and I think after spending some chair time in front of them you will agree. I have friends with nice custom horn systems and although the summit cannot match the easy dynamic's and spl's the summits are refined and yet still able to rock.

Have had mine since 2008 and still cannot wait to get in front of them. One of the best audio purchases I ever made.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey kc, funny you mention custom horn systems, I just spent time with a friend of a friends up in Phx, modded K-horns with big 15" dual out board subs, some kind of tweeters, it was dynamic, reminded me of my club days in NYC (Paradise Garage, The Saint, Red Zone, The Tunnel) in the 1980's, really not my cup of tea in a home listening room. My mentor and best bud loves this kind of sound. I crave nuances powerfully projected, raising the bumps on my pickled skin...BrawHawhahah!!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a set of Ethos and feel the same way. They mesmerize me and it happens every time I listen to them. It's the best audio purchase I've ever made.

Congrats, sounds like you really deserve them. So many who can afford such speakers don't actually know anything about them, other than that's what they we sold cause they wanted the best?!?.

I hope you get much enjoyment, I know I do from mine.

Awesome Craig... as everyone said - Summits are great speakers...and I think they are going to love that dead room... But... my real question is..... an SAE 180 parametric Eq??? Is this the black one - with red lights on the band adjustments?? I had one of those back in the day.... It is so odd I have lost track of my gear over the years.... this included..... If it is indeed the one I am thinking... post a pic!! :) and of your summits of course when you get them!

Hey timm, sorry to respond late, much on my plate, its black but no red lights on the big knob sliders, I'll have a pic of me sitting in the 'sweet spot' with the SAE 180 parametric EQ in my lap dialing the Summits in...every room needs a bit

I'm playing the Summits late into the night, surprising how well the little SAE does with these!! I'm more than pleased! I'm having trouble linking pics on this site, If i can't figure it out, I'll post a link to another site I posted pics of my new baby's!!

The resolution is uncanny on many fav music pieces! 'Tears for Fears', 'A-Ha'. 'Patricia Barber', 'Sphongle'....God help me, I can't stop, I'll be up for hours!!

I haven't played much with placement or the bass controls, just getting used to the sound 'plunked down' ! A Ml Summit.jpg ! A Ml Summit.1.jpg ! A Ml Summit.2.jpg and yes I turned the left one around. I've ripped through hundreds of Lps in the last few days and several CDs, jaw dropping sound with my meager system, I have some surprise amps coming soon to test.

If you like Sphongle check out Younger Brother's Flock Of Bleeps and The Last Days Of Gravity.

Enjoy. That's a serious pair of speakers:)

Great speakers. Worth getting a nice clean signal path and amps to do them justice including bass performance!

Love my Spires plus Velodyne DD+12 ... different route, similar outcome! Have fun and worth being meticulous re setup when you're ready to put the effort in. Resultant sound varies and can be tailored to your tastes to a large degree...especially with a room that will allow their bass performance to flourish! Good plan just having a good listen to begin with, before serious yet fun "dialling in". Enjoy

yes I have had 15 pre amps in past years but the logans have been here for 3 years which is saying something !!

Hey bud, were you a member of the now gone 'Sound Thinking'? Do you remember me from there? My avvie was a Buick 340 on the dragstrip

Latest posts

Back