Just pulled the trigger on an Oppo 105D.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Will see how this bad boy plays hi res music files from an external hard drive. If I like it, the Squeezebox and DAC are going away too. Fingers crossed.

My current Oppo 83 will hit fleabay soon.

Last edited:
Tom, congrats. I have the 105D and like it very much. However, I'm not using it for hi res unless its DVD-A, SACD or blu ray. I have my 105D connected to an 84 inch 4K LG. Even though the OPPO is not 4K it still provides a great picture. I am certain you will love it.

Gary

Hi Tom - I'd be interested in how you go with this. Especially with regard to streaming music without a TV/monitor turned on.

Hi Tom - I'd be interested in how you go with this. Especially with regard to streaming music without a TV/monitor turned on.

There is an app that will let me connect to the player and access songs, etc. from the hard drive.. Much like the iPeng app for the Squeezebox, but not as fancy, and it uses the directory structure instead of metadata tags... just a different way to get at the files. And the TV will be right there in case I need to see the info on a bigger screen. Once I get it all set up and have some time playing with it, I'll report back.

I think you should have went for the Sony Tom but understand you did not want to risk it.

I think if Sony really is committing to hi-res like they are saying they are, they will have a more versatile and open player in the next few years and maybe I'll have another look then...

I kinda have visions of the Sony mini-disk situation.... Which we really fell for back in the day.... Once bitten, twice shy..

Tom, I'm following you on this move…….. for one, if your happy with your results and two, if someone techno challenged like me could master it !

For me, that's not a deal breaker at all, because I'm so anal about my files that they are all organized pretty well... I'm not sure if the iPhone/iPad app uses the file structure too... I think it does... We'll see.

For me, that's not a deal breaker at all, because I'm so anal about my files that they are all organized pretty well... I'm not sure if the iPhone/iPad app uses the file structure too... I think it does... We'll see.

What about searching?

Got the Oppo today and connected to my system.... of course I don't have any real speakers yet (still waiting on them), but I messed around with the interface, connected it to my network, upgraded the firmware, etc. and also connected it to my Squeezebox server and messed around with the iphone app. Using the file structure seems OK, and there is a search function on the app, which seemed to work OK.. Not sure how to build playlists, etc. yet, but I only fooled around with it for an hour or so... More to come as I discover the features and of course, when my speakers get here and get broken in, I'll really be able to compare the sound of it against my squeezebox and DAC. Stay tuned..

I plugged my WD Passport 1TB USB drive into the back of the Oppo for the first time. It powers it up just fine. Oppo must've changed the functionality of the player because is DEFINITELY DOES build an index and use metadata based on the file tags!! YAY! And it supports playlists too! Very happy... It's still indexing my drive, so I haven't listened yet.... That'll come next. More to come.

Really cool Tom. Definitely interested in comparison with your dac as well as your impressions in sacd or hi Rez downloads once you get there. One other thing. If you have DVD-a could you tell me if getting to the two channel layer is easy without a monitor. I hardly play my DVD- a now because of that.
Thanks Tim

OK all.. it took about 5 hours for the index to complete (just over 50,000 files)... I'm listening to the same track from two different sources: from the SB/DAC and from the Oppo.

The SB/DAC is feeding my Anthem D2 via Audioquest King Cobra RCA's into the "CD" inputs.
The Oppo is feeding the D2 via HDMI cable.

D2 has all room correction turned off and subwoofer settings are the same for each component setup within the D2.

The differences are very subtle between the two, but I'd say I'm giving the edge to the Oppo. It sounds a little more lush and full than the SB/DAC.

The Oppo has balanced stereo outs for 2 channel, but I don't have any extra XLR's laying around (just ordered a pair) so I will have to wait to get them before setting that up, but I'm sure that will make the Oppo sound even better.

Navigating around with the Oppo iPhone app is VERY similar to the iPeng app for the SB, with the edge going to iPeng.

OK all.. it took about 5 hours for the index to complete (just over 50,000 files)... I'm listening to the same track from two different sources: from the SB/DAC and from the Oppo.

The SB/DAC is feeding my Anthem D2 via Audioquest King Cobra RCA's into the "CD" inputs.
The Oppo is feeding the D2 via HDMI cable.

D2 has all room correction turned off and subwoofer settings are the same for each component setup within the D2.

The differences are very subtle between the two, but I'd say I'm giving the edge to the Oppo. It sounds a little more lush and full than the SB/DAC.

The Oppo has balanced stereo outs for 2 channel, but I don't have any extra XLR's laying around (just ordered a pair) so I will have to wait to get them before setting that up, but I'm sure that will make the Oppo sound even better.

Navigating around with the Oppo iPhone app is VERY similar to the iPeng app for the SB, with the edge going to iPeng.

I would say this is more of a comparison between your DAC and the DAC in the Anthem.

I'd love to know what the SB sounds like driving the Anthem directly; and conversely what the Oppo sounds like driving the DAC (if there are discernible differences).

The DAC most definitely sounds better than just the SB feeding into the Anthem. Did that comparison when I first bought the DAC.

Hi Tom. So what's going on? Assuming you are going analog out to your anthem and comparing that to your old dac combo?

Hey Tim... Actually, I didn't have an extra set of XLR cables laying around, so I had to order some and I'm waiting to get them... Should be here in the next couple of days... In the meantime, I'm re-ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC and I've purchased a new Western Digital USB hard drive (2TB) for use with the Oppo.

Latest posts

Back