Just pulled the trigger on an Oppo 105D.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty cool that the oppo does all that for the price, if you love it then your all set for a long time. Hows the picture and sound on a bluray compared to other players you may have tried?

Haven't even put a disc in yet... LOL. remember, I'm in the middle of a massive downsizing... I got my center speaker and sub, but still waiting on my mains... using an old center and a surround for the mains until they arrive... and I'm in the middle of ripping all my CD's to FLAC... so that's taking most of my time...

Try getting the same speaker for the center as for the L and R. Music sounds much better

Hi Tom,

Can I ask what brand/model of speakers you have ordered?

Got my set of XLR's in the mail today and connected them to the balanced outs of the Oppo into the 2 channel inputs on the Anthem. WOW! :D Very nice... Playing Linda Ronstadt's CD with Nelson Riddle (VBR MP3) off the USB drive, and it sounds really really nice... Very dynamic.. Will compare it to the SB3 once I rebuild my SqueezeServer index...

I should have looked in this forum earlier.

I've got my OPPO 105D feeding Balanced XLR out to an amplifier as well a 65" Samsung.

So far I have the iPad and Android Media Center apps setup and have been streaming music via WiFi from my workstation in the other room.
I've used the Netflix, SA/CD and Blue Ray but my multi-media room is down stairs.
My 105D will be in the den for audio purposes where my Ethos will be very shortly.
I'm can't wait for my Ethos to get here!

So far I've listened to the following sources

SACD
CD
BD
RealTracks 24bit x 192kHz FLAC, AIFF ( by WiFi )
Pandora - 128kbps ( by WiFi )
Comcast Music Channel - 128-192kbps ( by HDMI )

still haven't tried the Asynchronous USB driver yet.

I'm not sure if the OPPO's DAC's are just really good, but I haven't heard anything that sounded bad.

I have been most impressed by the SACD's and RealTracks recordings, but they are also very well mastered albums with lots of detail and I haven't compared them with the same material compressed.

I guess the next step is to take my favorite SACD and rip a 320kbps MP3 of it and see if I can still hear all the detail that impressed me the most.

Although my system sounds great and makes my 5.1 system in the media room sound like crap, I still haven't spiked my Ethos yet and I'm sure there is a bit more fine tuning to do.

My wife is already starting to read with music playing instead of TV in the background. Having music playing just seems to add additional warmth to an already happy home :)

Last edited:
I plugged my WD Passport 1TB USB drive into the back of the Oppo for the first time. It powers it up just fine. Oppo must've changed the functionality of the player because is DEFINITELY DOES build an index and use metadata based on the file tags!! YAY! And it supports playlists too! Very happy... It's still indexing my drive, so I haven't listened yet.... That'll come next. More to come.

It doesn't seem to support the ITunes playlists.

What are you using to create your playlists ? FooBar ?

Also what do you think of it so far?

The only issues I've noticed is that it takes a little while to change sources and I've had it get stuck once which required me to reboot it.

I've signed up for the email notifications on firmware updates. I suspect over time they will offer direct support for additional streaming sources.

Also does your amplifier accept a 5V-12V trigger or does it require a 12V trigger ?

I'm going to build a USB cable to work as a trigger for my amplifier. An output trigger is the only thing that I think OPPO missed when they created the 105D.

I can also see that there are trigger expanders out there so you could take the 5V out from a USB cable and have a powered box turn that into multiple 12V triggers.

In my case I only have one amplifier to trigger and it will accept 5V-12V, so I should be good to go.

Edit: Looks like the USB out doesn't have enough current to properly drive a trigger so I will need a relay and at that point I would go ahead and make it 12V so it could feed anything.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to support the ITunes playlists.

What are you using to create your playlists ? FooBar ?

Also what do you think of it so far?

The only issues I've noticed is that it takes a little while to change sources and I've had it get stuck once which required me to reboot it.

I've signed up for the email notifications on firmware updates. I suspect over time they will offer direct support for additional streaming sources.

I don't use iTunes for anything.. It's horrible IMHO.

I think you can create playlists on the fly in the UI for the Oppo. I read that somewhere... haven't tried it yet. I have some difficulty with the Oppo handshaking with my Anthem D2 and usually have to make sure the Oppo powers on AFTER the Anthem.

I'll do alot more experimenting once my mains arrive and I get them all configured in the D2 and get the room correction all done.

I do have a 12V trigger coming from the Anthem to my Power Amp. It was included with the Power amp (Wyred4Sound MC500)

I've had issues with it hanging after playing an album's worth of files off either USB and WiFi.

With the USB media, pulling the USB fob out brought it back. When playing by WiFi I have had to reboot.

So Tom whats the verdict? I'm interested to hear what the quality of the streaming is in a blu-ray player versus something designed for dedicated streaming like a Marantz NA6005.

It streams WAY better than the Squeezebox. No dropouts with larger FLAC files and big hi-res files come across easily. As for the sound quality, I haven't gotten my mains yet... Supposedly they shipped from the UK to the dealer and then the dealer will ship them to me, so I'm hoping that they will be here by late next week. Then I'll get them broken in and start doing A/B testing against my SB3 and outboard DAC...

Playing music from a USB drive is so nice... iphone interface is really nice too. Don't know how it will stack up against the Marantz you mentioned, since I don't have any experience with that.

It streams WAY better than the Squeezebox. No dropouts with larger FLAC files and big hi-res files come across easily. As for the sound quality, I haven't gotten my mains yet... Supposedly they shipped from the UK to the dealer and then the dealer will ship them to me, so I'm hoping that they will be here by late next week. Then I'll get them broken in and start doing A/B testing against my SB3 and outboard DAC...

Playing music from a USB drive is so nice... iphone interface is really nice too. Don't know how it will stack up against the Marantz you mentioned, since I don't have any experience with that.

Interesting. Since I have high-res files in my collection I'm sure I'll be making a move away from the Sonos at somepoint.

The Kefs are all broken now and so last weekend I ran the Anthem ARC room correction and WOW.. what a difference it made.

My next step was to compare the sound from the Oppo 105/USB Hard drive to the Squeezebox/PS Audio Digital Link III Dac. I adjusted the volume levels on the Oppo and SB so they matched and then made sure all the settings in the Anthem D2 were correct (both using room correction EQ). The Oppo is feeding the D2 via Audioquest King Cobra XLR into Anthem's "2 Channel" input, while the DAC is feeding into the D2 via Audioquest King Cobra RCAs into the CD input... A digital coax cable feeds the DAC from the SB.

I cued up Linda Ronstadt's "Straighten Up and Fly Right" - a FLAC from a disc I ripped that I know very well... Then switched between the Oppo and SB back and forth, trying to hear if there were any differences. Decay from symbals, punch of trumpet and drums and of course, that magnificent voice... I probably spent an hour listening to this track over and over... My ears COULD NOT hear any differences. I actually was hoping the Oppo would sound a little better than the SB setup, but was glad it didn't sound any worse. :)

So, the SB and DAC will be going on fleabay and my system will become a little bit more simplified.

The one thing that I'll miss with the Squeezebox is the iPeng app to control it all.. It's AWESOME compared to the Oppo Media Center app. My hope is that Oppo will continually improve the app and get me some of the functionality that the iPeng has... We'll see...

Last edited:
Spent time with the KEFS and Loved em can imagine how they sound with the DSP

They sound pretty good... they don't disappear like my Summits did and the soundstage isn't as big or focused.. I am still going to play with things a little bit to see if I can get that cleaned up a little... but overall, i'm very pleased with them.

Back