Neolith Purchase Order Has Been Placed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Pete, that is exciting. The Neoliths paired with the Hercules II's. I just moved constellation to a high spot on my must see at CES list. For those that are wondering Robert Harley used Constellation Audio Hercules 2 power amps in his review of the Neoliths. I am very familiar with Roberts reviews and know he always uses stellar equipment. CES is just over a week away and I expect good things from ML but the constellation news gives me extra interest.

Gary

Interesting review to say the least. Good to read one that is not bass obsessed, unlike earlier amateur reviews! Take your cheque book to CES for an amp and MQA kit!?

But as a tease I have ordered a Trinnov Altitude32 fully loaded as the engine for my move into immersive sound.

Gary
Gary, it's the best possible choice and will definitely blow your mind. Have you received the Altitude? Chosen your (IME mandatory) calibrator?

Ken

I've now owned my Neolith's for one year so let me post a short update. I have grown to enjoy the Neolith's more today than when I first received them. Familiarity here breeds love not contempt. For example, yesterday I put on the old but still fun Your Money For nothing. I enjoy all Dire straight recordings. as expected the guitar work and vocals were great. clear clean sharp. When the drums enter a big smile hit. The punch, the power just felt great. I replayed the song 4 times increasing the volume each time until I could truly feel the drums (about 98 dB) such fun. It's great to be able to play soft or loud and always smile.

I must give a shout out to two MLO members Justin (User211) recommended I consider big power tube amps and RonR who through PM's and private phone calls strongly pushed the big VTL's. I would not have considered tubes without their recommendations. Wow the big (650 watts per channel) VTL Seigfreid II's are magic with the Neolith's Thanks guys for helping me reach my audio nirvana.

GaryG

On amplification. I use the popular KT88 tubes. One tube already went out and needed to be replaced so a little extra maintenance has been required. also I am bi-amping with the Pass labs X600.8's on the bass. matching the gain difference between the amps was a little extra work but technical support at Pass Labs was a big help. This combo works great when you are pushing to the extreme. When playing at normal volumes I have a slight preference to the VTL's only

GaryG

I've now owned my Neolith's for one year so let me post a short update. I have grown to enjoy the Neolith's more today than when I first received them. Familiarity here breeds love not contempt. For example, yesterday I put on the old but still fun Your Money For nothing. I enjoy all Dire straight recordings. as expected the guitar work and vocals were great. clear clean sharp. When the drums enter a big smile hit. The punch, the power just felt great. I replayed the song 4 times increasing the volume each time until I could truly feel the drums (about 98 dB) such fun. It's great to be able to play soft or loud and always smile.

I must give a shout out to two MLO members Justin (User211) recommended I consider big power tube amps and RonR who through PM's and private phone calls strongly pushed the big VTL's. I would not have considered tubes without their recommendations. Wow the big (650 watts per channel) VTL Seigfreid II's are magic with the Neolith's Thanks guys for helping me reach my audio nirvana.

GaryG

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your kind comment. I am absolutely ecstatic that you are finding the VTL Seigfried IIs to be magic on the Neoliths!

On ML speakers I have always liked tube amplifiers in general and VTLs in particular. If I purchase the Neoliths in the future I look forward to driving them with VTLs.

I always think MLs need valves as it seems to bring a real mid range magic out of them that just doesn't happen with solid state.

With my speakers I am keeping the solid state and valve options I have permanently. Or at least as permanently as permanent is for an audiophile LOL.

At the moment I am firmly enjoying the valve option I have. I switched back about a month ago. When it gets hot, the SS option will kick back into gear. But it is a very acceptable SS option, that has taken a long time to find.

With regards to valve reliability, the most reliable power valves I have discovered in 30 odd years is the 211 from the likes of Amperex, RCA and GE.

The best sounding KT88 I ever came across was Tesla (now EAT). The filaments were unreliable, but boy they sounded fantastic in an Air Tight ATM2. Better than any NOS options I tried, and by a good margin. What a shame they couldn't take the demands the Air Tight placed on them. In lower power KT88 based amps, they are reportedly fine.

BTW I'm glad you listened to Ron (and to a lesser extent me:)). I have heard big VTLs a few times and have been very impressed. They can sound alarmingly real. Gotta have been a good choice and I hope they stand the test of time and become a long term favourite.

Standing the test of time is a tall order, as I am sure you are aware. Enjoy:)

Back