Question Regarding Un-Mothballing CLS IIz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbe

Reaction score
I'm the original owner of a pair of CLS IIz's that have been in cold storage for about the last 9 years. Cold as in not climate controlled. They were however stored in their original shipping cartons with the panels in their plastic sleeves separate from the power supplies and everything still looks to be in perfect condition.

That said I'm looking for advice concerning the right way to un-mothball them. My concern is that there is always the chance that some component in the power supply has failed and the last thing I want is to ruin a panel because something like the high voltage is off.

So my first thought was it would be best to power on the electronics without connecting them to the panels. Does anyone have any reason to believe this would be a problem? Assuming it isn't my next question is whether it might be wise to put them on a Variac and slowly increase the supply voltage rather than just plugging them into 110 volts?

According to the chart my speakers were manufactured in July 1997 so they are just shy of 18 years old.

Any suggestions as to the best procedure to fire these up would be welcome.

I did. The guy was nice enough said I should just plug it in. When I asked about using a Variac he didn't know what that was and when I explained it to him he didn't seem to understand how gradually applying input power might potentially be a good idea. Nor did he grasp why it might be an issue if the power supply had failed and it sent the other than the correct voltage to the panel.

Hola. As Gordon said, the best advise is: call ML service dept. If I were you, what I would do is, put both power supplies to the speakers, and taking off the four nuts at the top of each electronics, I will inspect them to see if any capacitor looks bad, or any electrolytic fluid spread onf the PC Board. If everything looks neat, them plug them to the AC mains, and watch for any spark or smoke coming from the PC board. If after two minutes everything is OK, connect the speakers wires and listen. also watch the electronics for any bad component. If everything is OK, enjoy your speakers again. I wish to you all the best! Happy listening.

Do you know of any reason one can't power up the supplies without connecting them to the speakers? That would allow me to confirm the high voltage DC bias is functioning correctly without risking any damage to the speakers.

If I recall correctly, the "supply module" comes in a separate box and one must attach the lead wires to the panel.

Assuming that's the case, I'd try to find a copy of the owner's manual to see if there's a warning about powering the module without attaching to the panels. Assume you can find one on the net.

If no warning, I would think it would be OK to do so.

I'd also inspect the module as Roberto suggested.

Good luck.

GG

Module looks good. Attached is the schematic. Anyone see any reason this wouldn't function Ok unloaded?
Martin Logan CLS Schematic Low Res.jpg

Hi sbe,

I found the manual. No big warning about my above concern.

Just confirm with ML that this is something you want to do and get assurance no harm will occur and that you will get your issue addressed.

GG

Latest posts

Back