Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
I heard Montis with a Bryston, and a Bryston processor, and Em ESL center channel, and REL woofer.

I initially heard the 2-ch mode, and found Montis to be better than the Summits. Admittedly, I have never heard Summits with a Bryston, but this seemed better. The bass in Mch was outstanding when the takeoff happens at the beginning of Mahler's Second. And this was through an analog processor. Imagine through a high end like datasat or Trinnov

The brystons bass would be attributed to the superb analogue signal path in the the proc and high current signal from the amps. These types of proc are unlike the Integra and Marantz in how they preserve the signal despite the new chipsets found in the flavor of the year processors.

The best bass I heard is from the Datasat, the accuracy and depth is unbelievable.

Your post lead me down a path, a long scary one regarding that trinnov. I never even heard of them before your post, I though my krell 1200 was top of the line and only overshadowed by Theta. Now I am salivating over that trinnov proc lol.

Your post lead me down a path, a long scary one regarding that trinnov. I never even heard of them before your post, I though my krell 1200 was top of the line and only overshadowed by Theta. Now I am salivating over that trinnov proc lol.

Ken (RUR) likes you. He is a trinnov fan. Do look at Datasat too.

I have been preaching for some time that Montis is 'THE' speaker in the M/L lineup, price to performance it has little competition. IMO, perhaps the only speaker that betters it's ratio are Maggie 3.7i …………..yet I believe the hybrid Logan to be an easier speaker to drive.

There are a few things the Summit X does better, but when you factor in the price differential, Montis is hard to beat.

There are a few things the Summit X does better, but when you factor in the price differential, Montis is hard to beat.

and when you factor in that $$ differential and the sub(s) it can buy……… there really is nothing the Summit does better in my book. Remember, optimal placed sub or two easily betters the bass of a Summit X.

I've never heard the Summit X, but shouldn't the advanced phase control of the two woofers bring even better in-room panel/woofer integration than for the Montis? For deep bass, I suspect a lot of delayed energy could come out though the cones as second harmonic (Noel Keywood from HiFi World measured this in his review of the Ethos), and having two woofers in the same size box instead of one will only make it worse (I think).

I have heard the Summit X in same dem room and with identical partnering equipment to the Montis and the Summit X is significantly superior in terms of bass resolution and overall performance. The Montis is easier to set up as it has fewer variables and is cheaper and great value and its integration of panel and bass perhaps a bit better than the Spire. I am currently evaluating a Velodyne DD+ 12 with my Spires at home, and the Velo EQ (which measures Sub and Main together) shows so far the flattest response is with the ML 35Hz level at lowest setting. With that setting on the MLs the Velodyne shows a very flat response, and a dip I was getting with the Spire at my usual setting at 110Hz was greatly improved as the Spire was relieved of producing the lowest frequencies, and the Velodyne lapped up the opportunity to show off its talents in the 18 -50 Hz frequency range. A work in progress ... will report further in due course. Sub not even run in as yet!! Finally moving on a Velodyne Dave???

I have heard the Summit X in same dem room and with identical partnering equipment to the Montis and the Summit X is significantly superior in terms of bass resolution and overall performance.

not arguing that at all, again my point is the $$ differentiation and how that plays into the Montis camp with the addition of external sub(s) …………. as you're finding out !

Finally moving on a Velodyne Dave???

Bruce, I've had my DD-15 in the mix for five years now, couldn't be happier !

not arguing that at all, again my point is the $$ differentiation and how that plays into the Montis camp with the addition of external sub(s) …………. as you're finding out !

Bruce, I've had my DD-15 in the mix for five years now, couldn't be happier !

I wasn't really arguing either .. I think the value point you made is very true... and it has stopped me short of the Summit X trade up for that very reason. But I did want to put the point re the direct comparison as it isn't always easy for people to hear both of them!! Having fab fun listening to a recorded live performance by Sir Simon Rattle and CBSO from 1995.... orchestral portrayal dynamics and sense of acoustic greatly enhanced with Velo... Much more real portrayal of full orchestra! I'll keep workin at the Sub!!! thanks Bruce?

Hola. I am going to give my 2 cts. I believe that the Summit X is a model for a serious audiophile guys. It offers two woofer controls at a different frequency. One control knob for +-10dB at 50Hz and another +-10dB control knob at 25Hz. These controls are not parametric. These controls are for room boundaries, and to optimized the bass quality at your golden seat! You can adjust these knobs for the best performance and get the best of your recordings. While the Montis offers only the bass intensity starting from 100Hz +-10dB and will not take off any standing waves resonances that you might have in a particular room. The Summits X is a precision tool for these resonances, and if you know what you are doing, you could "tune" the woofers for the best bass quality performance. Of course that I do like the Montis, but the Summit X is more advanced at the bass. Happy listening!

I wasn't really arguing either .. I think the value point you made is very true... and it has stopped me short of the Summit X trade up for that very reason. But I did want to put the point re the direct comparison as it isn't always easy for people to hear both of them!! Having fab fun listening to a recorded live performance by Sir Simon Rattle and CBSO from 1995.... orchestral portrayal dynamics and sense of acoustic greatly enhanced with Velo... Much more real portrayal of full orchestra! I'll keep workin at the Sub!!! thanks Bruce?

I am watching Rattle do Sibelius 5, 6, 7 on 12th Feb, and Mahler's 2nd on the 14th

Back