ML Folded Motion vs ELAC Air Motion Transformer Tweeter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitogo

Reaction score
Has anyone done any comparisons? Both look to be using the same principle and look nearly identical. ELAC has a much larger product line with what the call the Jet tweeter described as Air Motion Transformer while ML is fairly new with their Folded Motion tweeter.

Has anyone done any comparisons? Both look to be using the same principle and look nearly identical. ELAC has a much larger product line with what the call the Jet tweeter described as Air Motion Transformer while ML is fairly new with their Folded Motion tweeter.

It's been around.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer maybe pantents have expired since it's getting more popular in last few years.

I've never really liked the ELAC speakers (not to say that's the tweeter's fault - voicing as a whole), but it's well documented here I love ADAM speakers and they also use a version of this technology which they call X-ART.

To 'fess up - I've never heard the Motion line.

My dealer lent me a pair of demo Elac FS247 floor standing speakers while I was waiting for delivery of my Montis speakers. I thought they were a good compact size for smaller rooms, but the sound was too brittle - sounding like they had too much energy in the top end. Also, the bass was very tight, but too lean for my tastes. I tried pulling the rubber bung from the back to extend the bass, but the bass became woolly and indistinct. Maybe a good quality tube amp would be a good match.

Back