Odd cable question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here is maybe a strange question. I may be getting some speakers in the future that only have one set of posts. I have a multi channel amp. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using two channels of amplification by hooking up 4 spades to the amp and only having two spades on the speakers? Kind of like a reverse bi-wire scenario Thanks. Tim

not exactly sure of what you're trying to do but if you're suggesting using two channels to drive one speaker I see no logic/sense or application for it.

Haha. Well. I am not an electrical engineer. So are you saying this would not either increase current or watts? It's why I asked the question. I have no clue. I'm just using dumb guys logic!! :)

Timm, unless the amp is capable of being 'bridged' then no this would not work. FWIW, some stereo amps (my Plinius for example) are capable of this. Regardless you would only use one pair of binding posts.

While I can't say for sure on your multi-channel amp (HT designed I presume) but I doubt it has the capability. You can always refer back to your manual !

It's a sunfire cinema signature.

If you are connecting one speaker to two channels on your amp, you are going to damage the amp by causing a short. You cannot "reverse bi-wire".

Ok. I won't try this. The sunfire is a little unique in that it has two inputs per channel and allows u to send the signal to a second channel of the amp using an RCA interconnect. So today I bi amp using the amp but use cables that have 4 spades on each end. And yes. I guess a good way of saying what I was thinking is 'reverse bi wire'. 4 spades on two channels of amp and 2 spades on speaker.

Hi guys. Here is maybe a strange question. I may be getting some speakers in the future that only have one set of posts. I have a multi channel amp. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using two channels of amplification by hooking up 4 spades to the amp and only having two spades on the speakers? Kind of like a reverse bi-wire scenario Thanks. Tim

Amp go Boom!

Latest posts

Back