Neotlith review from Audioholics.com...very interesting!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roberto, for sure that was a positive review. These beasts really do eat power. They used 575 watt per channel Krell's at CES and they seemed fine. The only time that I noticed any difficulty was when they played a Bach fugue (long sustained deep bass organ notes). They gave it 5 out of 5 in their final point analysis for every category except value where it received a 4 out of 5 which they explain is very good. The Martin Logan team should be thrilled.

PS: Sorry you couldn't make it to CES but never fear. I bought a large beer for you (and I promptly drank it in your honor).

Gary

Last edited:
Hey Gary, you are too much! And I promise to you that we will having that beer soon! Regarding the bass of that particular work of Bach, just thinking loud, I had seeing big power amps to collapsed with such heavy bass notes. Also, the room boundaries could cause that sense too. For heavy bass notes, you must treat the room properly. And I do not believe that you are allow to do that at the Venetian.

One dear friend from ML, told me: ..." with this new product, the Neolith, which it is a truly hi-end product, will be a good challenge to speakers of that price range. Mr. Joe Vojtko and his team had made a great work on it. The crossover is a truly jewel. A lot of time and effort had being taking to accomplish it. All the construction materials and all the speaker cabinet is totally new on the market place"..." to listen the new Neolith, it is a great pleasure because everything is effortless"...

Warm regards from Costa Rica, Gary!!! Happy listening!

Roberto, for sure that was a positive review. These beasts really do eat power. They used 575 watt per channel Krell's at CES and they seemed fine. The only time that I noticed any difficulty was when they played a Bach fugue (long sustained deep bass organ notes). They gave it 5 out of 5 in their final point analysis for every category except value where it received a 4 out of 5 which they explain is very good. The Martin Logan team should be thrilled.

PS: Sorry you couldn't make it to CES but never fear. I bought a large beer for you (and I promptly drank it in your honor).

Gary

The best Church organ I have heard was through a Datasat Auro 3d Multichannel system, that is the only way to create such bass, you will get it on the Auro demo disc.

The best Church organ I have heard was through a Datasat Auro 3d Multichannel system, that is the only way to create such bass, you will get it on the Auro demo disc.

In Theta's room at CES they had an Auro 3D multichannel system with 21 speakers. The audio demonstration was fantastic. I sat in the sweet spot, directly under the VOG (Voice of God) speaker. Just spectacular. The pipe organ would be interesting. When you make it to Vegas I'll play Toccata and Fugue in D minor in multichannel and multiple subs and hopefully Neoliths as mains. As I'm set up now it makes me smile. Just trying to push the limits.

Gary

In Theta's room at CES they had an Auro 3D multichannel system with 21 speakers. The audio demonstration was fantastic. I sat in the sweet spot, directly under the VOG (Voice of God) speaker. Just spectacular. The pipe organ would be interesting. When you make it to Vegas I'll play Toccata and Fugue in D minor in multichannel and multiple subs and hopefully Neoliths as mains. As I'm set up now it makes me smile. Just trying to push the limits.

Gary
I once heard that piece played on the organ in a church. It was incredible!

MartinLogan Neolith Loudspeaker Review

MartinLogan Neolith Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

MartinLoganNeolithblue.png

I hope it sounds better than it looks... :)

I think in a proper sized room (large) they'll look fine. Now if anybody buys these and stuffs them into a small room, jams them within a couple feet of a wall and says they sound 'great' ……. I'll be the first to shout 'BS" !!

* Side note …….. I see Roberto already started a thread on this yesterday, I'll merge the two*

Last edited:
Actually, the 'look' is growing on me. I don't mind that blue color. And you're right Dave, I reckon only a big room would do them justice.

I think they look spectacular. No-one in their right mind would put them in a small room anyway. I also have a distinct feeling that this is the kind of product where pictures just won't do justice. The sheer size and level of finish...

I can't wait to hear these. I know of one high-end store in the Chicagoland area that is considering carrying them.

I wonder if you need to carry the entire ML line if you want these "bad boys"

BTW I love the look!! In the right room they would make quite a statement. I missed the weight of these speakers. Was that mentioned anywhere?

Doug - out

I can't wait to hear these. I know of one high-end store in the Chicagoland area that is considering carrying them.

I wonder if you need to carry the entire ML line if you want these "bad boys"

BTW I love the look!! In the right room they would make quite a statement. I missed the weight of these speakers. Was that mentioned anywhere?

Doug - out

I forget the exact weight but I know it was between 300 and 400 pounds each. I think they were something like 380 lbs. Their shipping weight is somewhere in the 700 pound range each as they bulked the up the crates after the Munich high end show. It turns out the Munich boxes did not hold up well. In a picture posted by the host of the Illinois "Truth in Sound Tour" you can see some very large casters on the base (bass) unit. Those were also upgraded after Munich as the originals failed. Yes, these are heavy. Production is underway and they are currently working on orders from the Munich show. In the review they said ML only had a capacity of 2 pair per week. That doesn't sound like much but if you do the math at $80K per pair capacity stands at $8,000,000 annually. Of course they will start out with a production backlog and early orders may have a bit of a wait. I think they look much better than the pictures show. The contrast between the deep black that they have achieved in the stator and the deep red in the pair at CES was great. I don't know the long term ML marketing plan but I know that they are good at what they do as can be seen by the companies growth. In business, success is a great measuring stick. My guess is that the biggest reserve stores get first shot and at most only reserve sellers will handle these.

Gary

Last edited:
Make no mistake build quality really is top notch. The grey finish at Munich in the flesh looked excellent. Must admit I like the blue above a lot too.

Like any other speaker sonically they aren't perfect but they are really good. I feel pretty lucky to have heard them over the course of two days on and off considering the hardship you stateside guys are having trying to hear them.

$80K is a pee in the wind compared to the VOX Olympians at £500K - I know which I'd rather listen to and it doesn't begin with V.

That said money no object and room no object I probably would not go for them.

I'd just get a ridiculous spec Apogee built for far less than $80k. Polymer front covers and CNC solid aluminium frame with neodymium mags. Pretty sure I'd be a better speaker based on recent experiments:D

I'd just get a ridiculous spec Apogee built for far less than $80k. Polymer front covers and CNC solid aluminium frame with neodymium mags. Pretty sure I'd be a better speaker based on recent experiments:D

Hi, do you know if this designer has a track record? Tried to google and came up with my own post

Confused what do you mean Kedar?

I spec'd how Interstella should be built in discussion with Jon, who you know. For higher end work, I'd get Graz to build them as I know he can work with powerful magnets etc etc.

Here is a Graz built neodymium magnet job. Top notch. Much less money than Neolith, much higher efficiency than Neolith, better bass extension than Neolith (mind you so has Interstella). Only disadvantage would be scale compared to Neolith. But it does bass to the same height as the mid/treble unlike Neolith, so it won't sound thin higher up the frequency range as Neolith does. All IMHO of course.

Graz can build a much bigger Apogee than the one below.

That post does ML no favours and TBH I am going to stop posting about Apogees here unless asked. I am NOT an Apogee salesman I am just a fan.

Attachments

• Synergy 2-03.jpg
    Synergy 2-03.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 159
Oh I was just kidding, by designer I actually meant you, and was joking that if one tries to get a reference to Justin's apogees, my own post comes up

Back