System #492 (Theos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdenari

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Martin

2. Location: Houston, Tx

3. ML Model(s): Theos, ESL

4. Year Purchased: 2014

5. Mods/Changes: NO

6. Associated Electronics: Mac Mini, 2 Emotiva XPa1, Emotiva XDA2

7. Simply the best, I am going from my mac mini using fiber optics to the XDA2, and this last is connected using XLRs (Balanced)to the monoblock. Very simple but pure at the same time

Attachments

• 20150109_220619.jpg
    20150109_220619.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited by a moderator:
That's better Martin ! rather diverse cigar selection, myself not an Acid fan but Hemmingway is definitely a nice smoke. Speaking of smoke, keep those doors closed to your fireplace, wood smoke will destroy your stats quicker than you can imagine.

I got the Acid box (empty ) at Sepcs for 1.00 i use it to store connectors and little screws....Not a wood fireplace. it is gas!

Interesting, I note that you have windows behind. Have you ever played them in a room where there were no windows behind, and you had a solid wall? Is there a difference? How do they sound when the blinds are down vs when the blinds are up? I would assume the windows cause you to lose bass.

I try keep the blinds down, . I did try both open and closed, In any case, since the shape of the blinds is so convoluted, I think it make no noticeable difference. With regards to the solid wall, that is in the middle of both speakers, my calculations is that it does not play any role, its too short and given the distance there are now sound waves bouncing on that wall. I did notice though that theos are less sensitive to this wall/windows that the ESL's. I also have a pair of ESL's and as pointed out, I would loose a lot of bass depending on the distance to the wall, just a few inches would make a noticeable difference.
Currently I have the peakers about 7' apart from each other, they are about 4' from the wall and I am at 11' listening position.

Thanks TomDac, it is really comfortable and pleasant to sit in front of the fire to listen to some music.

Hola... the warmth color of the room with that wood is impressive. Your set up is beautiful, nice, and well balanced system. Enjoy the music! The more you listen the musician(s) playing for you there, the more you like it! Happy listening!.

Thanks roberto, I am very happy indeed with my setup. It is very simple, but that's the way I like to keep it

I try keep the blinds down, . I did try both open and closed, In any case, since the shape of the blinds is so convoluted, I think it make no noticeable difference.

With all due respect, I had these same type blinds in my previous house and had the exact opposite experience.

Amazing how you can control the "reflectivity" of the "back wave" and subsequent ambient cues with minor adjustments.

GG

Hi interesting. GG, did you not lose bass because of the glass behind? How far in were your panels?

Wood blinds, in my experience, did not impact the bass per se but really helped adjust the ambient cues along with midrange / high freq. tonal balance depending on the "opening" of the blinds.

Panels 60" from back wall.

How are you liking the Emotiva amps? I looked at them pretty hard before I settled on the Marantz that I bought. The Emotiva is a lot more power than the Marantz but the reviews I read on the Emotiva were so hit and miss.

Back