Ideal temperature for stats to sound their best?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Now that the cold weather is upon us what do feel is the ideal temp for the stat panels to sound there best?

I can't imagine how any reasonable temperature would affect the sound of a modern electrostat. Mylar is very dimensionally stable as shown in the following graph from Dupont. As dimensional stability will determine the tension in the panel and that will determine the other qualities, ceteris paribus, I don't think it matters in the least. Note the y-axis is in in/in 10-5 or 100000ths of an inch per inch and the change is linear with temperature.

Mylar.JPG

Last edited:
I agree temperature shouldn't make a difference (and I can't hear it anyway).

But humidity certainly does.

This is because the ES discharge rates increase with humidity.

The ideal humidity (I find; and to my ear) is around 40-50%. Much higher than that (which is most of the time here) the highs start to roll off, quite significantly. At around 80% the effect is quite profound.

Luckily for me, my AC maintains 48-53% when it is running, so I don't have an issue, but I do need to turn it on at least 30 minutes before listening when it is really humid.

Lower than that is not usually a problem, but to be honest - I can count on one hand the number of times the RH has dropped below 40% here in Queensland :)

Maybe someone else can contribute.

I'd imagine expansion/contraction of the stators probably amounts to more than the mylar change.

I would say most suitable temperature it that which feels comfortable to you.

I'd imagine expansion/contraction of the stators probably amounts to more than the mylar change.

Not by much. Without the specific steel used by M-L I cant say exactly, but the range of expansion for different steels is shown in this table below. Again in in/in.

steel.JPG

When it gets colder and I put on a long sleeve over a t-shirt, I can hear the highs get reduced. Amp also takes longer to warm up and sound its sweetest.

Back