Wall behind a Planar speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
My front wall (wall behind the planars) is currently flat and symmetrical, causing no issues.

My guess is that those who have windows behind the panel, lose bass. Is this correct? Does pulling a curtain help?

What if the wall behind is slanting and asymmetrical (one panel is 4 ft from the wall and the other 5), does that work?

What if one panel has a door behind, opening into another space, while the other has a wall behind?

Asking as contemplating a new place next year

Having anything "soft" to break up the rear sound waves is always good for the soundstage. The last thing you want is the rear wave reflecting off the wall behind the speakers and then bouncing into the listening area.

Hola Kedar...why don't you take some pics of your room. This will be much easier to respond to you about it. Happy listening!

Hola Kedar...why don't you take some pics of your room. This will be much easier to respond to you about it. Happy listening!

Hi Roberto, current room is fine. I am thinking of a new place in a year or two, so the question. It could possibly have a slanted wall behind, or glass windows, or one opening behind one panel but not the other. Just wanted to ask, as that will help me buy.

My current room, Justin's the two Analysis demos I have had, and many have had a wall behind which is fine. However, Paul (ps68) had a Window behind, and another Audio Exklusiv speaker at Munich had glass behind, and they seemed to lose the rear wave.

Hola Kedar, you want to be at the other side of the river, but you haven't got and not even close, to the river's bridge!. When you are there, you have to install all your goods and listen. There, your ears will tell you what it is wrong or what it is good. Not before! Happy listening!

Agree with Roberto. It depends on how large your room is which would help determine if diffusion and/or absorption would improve sonics. Also, anything soft won't break up the sounds waves unless whatever is soft is not a flat surface (e.g. parallel to the front wall). Soft = absorption and won't break anything up, it will absorb. In general the thicker the lower in freq it would be capable to absorb.

Guys I.am just asking for experiences based on the shape of the wall behind the speaker. Slanted, glass windows, or opening behind one planar

My front wall (wall behind the planars) is currently flat and symmetrical, causing no issues.

My guess is that those who have windows behind the panel, lose bass. Is this correct? Does pulling a curtain help?

What if the wall behind is slanting and asymmetrical (one panel is 4 ft from the wall and the other 5), does that work?

What if one panel has a door behind, opening into another space, while the other has a wall behind?

Asking as contemplating a new place next year

Low freq waves are so big that irrespective of the front wall material, the waves will partially pass through the wall. What does not pass through will be reflected back int the room and cause bass modes. So glass or a curtain won't matter much for low frequencies. If the front wall is not symmetrical (like your examples) it will affect ther bass and more importantly the rear wave of the dipole in a non-symmetrical and non-linear way - meaning your image definition and soundstage can be adversely affected. 1 way to mitigate these problems is to hang or set on stand(s) bass traps that would absorb the rear panel wave + absorb some of the low frequencies. Hope that helps.

Back