Justin's apogees

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!

I heard apogees ONCE in my lifetime. I think they were Divas... Was a long time ago and I remember them being enormous and the sound they produced was jaw dropping.

The ones that I had were in my backs junk yard house, sold the property, and they I think, still are there. They can not stand the humidity of Costa Rica. One of the best speakers that I had owned so far. Clean, crystal highs, good bass response, I drove them with my ML-2s monoblock by Mark Levinson. Long time ago. When you cranked them up, you could see the sparks on parts of the bass section. Then, suddenly both speakers were doing the same...I called their rep, and they say that I must send them back to the States for repair...did that, and because there were no humidity, they claimed that the speakers were good...came back, and in a couple of months, the problem started again...I remember being very mad, and my idiotic way of been at that time, I disconnected them, and did try to sell them, with no luck. Then bought Magneplanars...Timpani 3B was the ones that I bought. This is a long time history.

This pic is not mine, but these were the model that I had...
http://www.trygve.com/apogeeduetta.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking better, I bought the magneplanars before, I changed the for the Duettas, then I listened ML in 87, and since then, I am with ML...and not thinking to do a change. Happy listening!

Ok morning, like a Class A, had to warm up overnight to write this.

So, when I went in, I was expecting it to be just a social visit, check it out for checking it out sake, as I was not that happy with the last pair and the other Apogee I have heard. To cut to the chase for GG, these speakers were awesome, as good as anything I have heard.

When i went in, the first thing I felt compelled to do was push at the speakers - the aluminium frames are awesome. I haven't really been following Justin's long thread, coz it is too long and detailed, so was surprised to see how sturdy these looked. It seriously looks like the whole think aluminium frame has been fixed into the ground. Immovable force.

Justin hadn't warmed up his system, but it sounded good right off the bat. We had to rip my stuff, and we let stream through Tidal then (Tidal sounds really CD like). The speakers were playing much easier, as if they were more sensitive than before, which is probably because of the energy saved by the frame. They are as good in the midrange as the Logans or the AA, though Justin has since upgraded his source to the Lampi 7 and only he can say how much of it is because of the speaker and how much due to the source.

The bass of the speakers is huuuuge. Great depth, back and forth, like a large fast moving cone. Justin's room is what I consider to the be the weak link here, it has good front and back depth, but sideways is narrow so no sideways stage. Also he has reflective surfaces, which I think he can damp using light absorbers like GIK 242s. I thought the bass was a bit high at times, but he likes more bass, and that can be tweaked in multiple ways including the Jriver room correction. Also from my experience with the Ref 110 and what I have seen with other tube amps, tube bass does get a bit bloated in the 50 - 80hz range, while it is kept sharper with SS.

The front to back stage, and top to bottom, was excellent. They are easily something that would be on top of my consideration list, if not for the fact that they will take one year to get ready after the decision to buy is made, and they are not extendable to Mch. They sound better than the stock Analysis, remember that the Analysis I liked were similarly modded, with crossovers of a higher quality than what Justin is using, and in better rooms, with more expensive amps.

Oh yes, and we drove from and to the station in his Porsche, which I thought was money that should have been spent on the room lol

We also put in the shun mook diamond resonators under the dac. Justin heard a difference. Tbh, it worked negatively on the bass. The bass started booming more. This was surprising and the first room I have heard that happen. The midrange was more flushed out and better

To cut to the chase for GG, these speakers were awesome, as good as anything I have heard.

Sorry guys, a bit too melo dramatic for me.

I'm glad Justin is happy (after all the time, money, and effort) and that you like his Apps.

I do admire his patience amongst other things.

GG

Pfffeewww!!! I thought you were going to say they sounded like crap!!! :)

Pfffeewww!!! I thought you were going to say they sounded like crap!!! :)

Actually, if wanted to be polite, I wouldn't have said crap, but I wouldn't have said darn good as well.

Actually I jokingly said to Kedar he could say they were the best speakers he'd ever heard - there:s only one pair after all:D

Then I just said say what you thought. Kedar is quite like me in that we are both very direct. We say what we think. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly that and I am glad he liked them.

Actually I jokingly said to Kedar he could say they were the best speakers he'd ever heard - there:s only one pair after all:D

Then I just said say what you thought. Kedar is quite like me in that we are both very direct. We say what we think. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly that and I am glad he liked them.

Haha --- both of you guys.... I am glad things are working out for you Justin.... This is awesome to hear...

So, if I see on audiogon ...'Justin's Apogees' - $151,000 GBP..... then should I consider this a marketing ploy of some sort.... :)

I dunno about that Tim but I appreciate the remarks from those who have heard Apogees before.

I will say though I am sure these are an order of magnitude better than the original Duettas. How can I say that? Well because they are quite a marked improvement over the last pair. More so than even I thought the difference in spec would make.

Blah, blah... if I could beam them over to you guys I would:)

Gordon - MBL 116F owner Jerry is over next w/e. Be interesting to see what he thinks. He isn't as direct as Kedar but he loves his 116Fs. He is quite expressive though and we have completely disagreed over the merits of Tripath amps, for instance. There is usually quite a bit of agreement between the two of us. Not always though. I like some Tannoys, LOL.

Last edited:
Back