Typically, how long do MLs last?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Typically, how long do these ML speakers last?

I know some here have ML speakers from 2 generations prior, like the Ascent-i's. Question I have would be - these self powered generation of speakers like the Summits, how long do you expect these to last before any real maintenance?

Given that they have an ICE amp, I assume they have caps that would need replacing at some point, etc...

It depends on environment and maintenance but I'd say 15 years +-10.

how long do you expect these to last before any real maintenance?

By "real maintenance", I assume you mean replacement of the panels.

That depends entirely on how they have been looked after.

If they've been in a smoker's house and never cleaned, probably less than five years.

If they've been in a clinically clean environment, then they'll probably last indefinitely.

On average, for a properly maintained pair, probably 15-20 years.

Are you thinking of buying your Summits back?

By "real maintenance", I assume you mean replacement of the panels.

That depends entirely on how they have been looked after.

If they've been in a smoker's house and never cleaned, probably less than five years.

If they've been in a clinically clean environment, then they'll probably last indefinitely.

On average, for a properly maintained pair, probably 15-20 years.

Are you thinking of buying your Summits back?

Yes I am thinking about it and am in talks with Tom.

It is properly maintained and I know the history of the pair so I have no issues with the maintenance. I bought it from the original owner within a year of him owning it, then I owned it up to the time Tom bought them from me and I know he maintained it well.

I figured 15 years is the lifespan of these guys.

I just purchased a pair of Montis and have no experience with old MLs. However, I do own a pair of 22 year old Quad ESL 63s. They have more panels than the Logans - and they lasted for 20 years before I had to change some of the old panels. They worked perfectly before I moved them. Old Panels are not very found of moving (for the Quads the glue was damaged/dried out after 15+ years), hence - as long they are not moved they should be fine. My father´s ESL 57 are 15 years older - 37 years old - and they still work without any repairs.

Direct sunlight, moving, smoke, humidity and high temperature changes are probably the best known enemies. That said, changing panels are very easy for Logans, as long as you can get replacement parts :)

I have heard that the new ML models, such as the Montis, have new improved and stronger panels. Probably they will last longer than the old ones as well.

have had my odysseys for about 10 years... no problems ....

Yes I am thinking about it and am in talks with Tom.

It is properly maintained and I know the history of the pair so I have no issues with the maintenance. I bought it from the original owner within a year of him owning it, then I owned it up to the time Tom bought them from me and I know he maintained it well.

I figured 15 years is the lifespan of these guys.

Wow, I remember reading posts about you selling them to Tom. How the years have gone by.

Mine are original Aerius, soon to be upgraded at long last. I had to replace the panels after 10 years, but now at 25 years they still sound great! I hope the new ones (Montis) will do as well.

Wow, I remember reading posts about you selling them to Tom. How the years have gone by.

Yeah, tell me about it man. I sold it to the prez when I was 26. That was 6 years ago.

I've aged and gained some midsection, unfortunately. Those were the days... audiophilia when I had no money and was dumping every cent I had into the system. It was a great system at one point and at some point I actually owned the entire system free and clear. Then I sold it... sold it all.

To buy the wife's diamond ring.

So whenever I see my wife's engagement ring, I know an entire audio system was sacrificed for that piece. LOL!

Not trying to stir up trouble but, maybe your lovely new bride is OK with 6 figures of audio system in the house figuring another ring of equal value may be just around the corner? :devil:

So whenever I see my wife's engagement ring, I know an entire audio system was sacrificed for that piece. LOL!

I suspect that may be the best trade you ever made. You had your priorities straight.

Time for your just reward kiddo …………… got let let know know who's King !!

Latest posts

Back