Motion40 vs Motion60XT

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertApril

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to buy a full set of 5.1 Martin Logan Motion speakers.
I have to decide between the Motion40,30 and 15 set, or the Motion XT Line-up.

I work in an electronic store and ordered the Motion40 for the store earlier this year.
I've had the chance to audition them at length for music and movies on a Marantz 7008.
I haven't had the chance to do the same for the Motion60XT.

Spec wise, the 60 seem like they'll have lower and more bass, be significantly bigger and play louder.
They also seem to be "beamier" with a 30 degree dispersion, or am I wrong about that?

The 35XT and 50XT also have the 30 degree dispersion.

I'll use the set for everthing. Movies, games and music.

I'd like to know if the XT line-up is an overall upgrade, or if the previous Motion line-up (40,30,15) still has advantages over the younger set.

I won't lie, the XT set is big, ridiculous for my current condo, but should be fine for my house in a year or two.

I can't seem to find any reviews online or any store that has them.
Your input is appreciated!

For amp, I'll probably get a Marantz 6008 or 7008.

Thanks for everyone's time and merry christmas.

Hi Robert and welcome to our forum.

I suspect no one has any personal knowledge of the differences between the the models in question. Hence, no replies to your thread.

If you want to listen to two channel only and it's important to you, you may want to go with the speaker that offers a "fuller" frequency response and go with a smaller model for your center and surrounds.

I assume they are all "voiced" the same to avoid any miss match anomalies.

I'd suggest that you audition the various models and consider how you are going to use them in each of the applications, and go from there.

Another option is to work with a store that will allow "exchange" options so you can audition in your home without any financial penalty.

Good luck and keep us informed.

And Happy Holidays.

Gordon

I have the Motion 40s, but have not heard the XTs. I absolutely love my 40s. I had (have) a fairly limited budget and demoed many speakers (CM9, Def Tech, ML ESL and the Motion 40) and my ears like the 40s. I went with a Marantz NR1603, which I knew would be under powered, but in the short run I'm bi-amping using the rear channels.

I've read that the 60XTs are basically the 40s but "more of everything". The Motion 40s are bright..very bright. If the 60XTs were brighter due to a larger motion tweeter than I'd probably pass on them myself, especially given that they are a grand a pair more. They probably are an upgrade over the 40s, but you'll have to determine if they are a $1,000 better.

I own a pair of the Motion 15s which I use as surrounds. Very nice speakers. I would imagine that as mains their bigger brother, the Motion 40, would sound great. I would suggest however that you go the next model up if you can afford it. I believe the XT series offers a slighter larger tweeter configuration and may suit bigger rooms.

Hey I have 40's and motion 6's 4's 2's and I did have the fx2 and fx1. The larger folded motion tweeters in the fx2 do not sound as bright as the fx1 and the same was true for the tweeter in the EM C2 I had. The EM C2 had a nice balanced top end and not the screaming top end like the motion 8's folded motion tweeter so I would think the the XT series is less bright because of the larger tweeter, the larger folded motion tweeters also sound better with less power.

Back