Aerius SL3 Stator Dead - Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neville

Reaction score
Season greetings and all that,

I have a slight problem, which you may or may not be able to cast some light on hopefully.

The night before Christmas Eve speakers playing away merrily as they have been since the modifications (cross overboard upgraded in the UK, vcaps installed etc etc) were done and sounding better and better.

Christmas Eve, RH Channel stator dead, not a squeak.

Did all the usual checks to make sure it wasn't and amp/mains cable etc etc fault swapped speakers around. all checked out fine but Stator still dead. After Christmas Day (and some discharge time) I took the speakers apart to check things out, black wire soldered on to the back of the stator comes away. Ah says I , there’s the problem, this should be easily fixed. quick call to a friend who seems to be the go to guy with a soldering iron,(i know my limitations) repair done, speaker back together.

Result when powered up, small static like click, dead

Any suggestions, im a man on the edge!

Hola Neville. First, check the model. Aerius or SL-3. Usually, that problem, is the PSU (Power supply unit).

WARNING!!! UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS AC, THE SPEAKER AC CABLE!!!

There are some work to do. Swap the PSU to one speaker to the other. How do you know which is the PSU. Easy. Just follow the AC Internal cables. They go to this unit. Write down on a paper, the exact cables connection at the Printed Circuit Board. Watch the colors of the cables too. The small gray thin cable coming from the speakers binding posts, have polarity too. One is silver and the other is gold. Just connect them exactly as they are now.

If the suspect speaker comes alive again, then you found the culprit. Be careful with the voltages there, because the HV of the stators are about 1800 to 2200 DC Volts, and it is not nice to have that voltage in our hands.

You can discharge the stat panels too. With the aid of a small jumper wire, lest say about three inches, and peel about 1/4 inch of both sides. Make sure the speaker's AC cable is unplugged from the Mains AC wall. At the PSU board, short the red with the black and the blue. You might see a little spark and this is ok. You are discharging the voltage that might be present at the stat panel.

Remember that the stat panel acts as a big capacitor, and it remains charged for several hours. A reason why you can unplug the AC cable from the wall, and the speaker's stat panel, still sings along with the music.

Regards from Costa Rica!

Last edited:
Hola Neville. First, check the model. Aerius or SL-3. Usually, that problem, is the PSU (Power supply unit).

WARNING!!! UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS AC, THE SPEAKER AC CABLE!!!

There are some work to do. Swap the PSU to one speaker to the other. How do you know which is the PSU. Easy. Just follow the AC Internal cables. They go to this unit. Write down on a paper, the exact cables connection at the Printed Circuit Board. Watch the colors of the cables too. The small gray thin cable coming from the speakers binding posts, have polarity too. One is silver and the other is gold. Just connect them exactly as they are now.

If the suspect speaker comes alive again, then you found the culprit. Be careful with the voltages there, because the HV of the stators are about 1800 to 2200 DC Volts, and it is not nice to have that voltage in our hands.

You can discharge the stat panels too. With the aid of a small jumper wire, lest say about three inches, and peel about 1/4 inch of both sides. Make sure the speaker's AC cable is unplugged from the Mains AC wall. At the PSU board, short the red with the black and the blue. You might see a little spark and this is ok. You are discharging the voltage that might be present at the stat panel.

Remember that the stat panel acts as a big capacitor, and it remains charged for several hours. A reason why you can unplug the AC cable from the wall, and the speaker's stat panel, still sings along with the music.

Regards from Costa Rica!

Thanks for the feedback, from what ive read on other bits and pieces on the fourm, it would seem that a really heavy duty soldering iron is required to ensure the black wire at the rear of the stator panels has made proper contact?

I did take the back panel off the speaker cabinet and checked the board over for any obvious signs of something burned out, but everything looks ok.

Or would it be the case that if the PSU is at fault you wouldn't know by simply looking at it?

I guess the obvious thing is to get another more powerful soldering iron and re-try that 1st

Hello from a cold Scotland

Hola. It is easier to remove the PSU, ( an usual problem ) than remove the panel. The other possibility is that, a faulty contact at the stator. But, I just wanted to be sure. There is a red LED at the front of the speaker, that let's you know that it is working. Is it lit?

On the other hand, SL3 is different than the Aerius, and the Aerius I, which model do you have? They are three different models. I recall all three models, have this red LED at the top of where the woofer is. It is a little red LED and it does not lit strong. It is just a guide to let you know that the PSU is working. Also, depending on the serial No. and model, the LED might be a blue color.

Hmm. I don't remember my Aerius having that light.

Apologies I have a pair of aerius I and the have a red led under the bass speaker. And they are now back to normal. Problem was a loose black wire at the back of the stator panel. A bit of a nightmare to get the solder to take but job done. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Back