Depth sub position

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Depth sub owners which location do u prefer for the depth sub? I run my two in stereo mode and have them position right behind my summits in the corner! Recently move them out to be located along the front wall. To my amazement ran level test and the level was almost identical to when they were in the corner! Can't really tell if I prefer them there our were they were! I would think they would be less boomy out of the corners! That's why I'm asking Thanks

I have two Depth i subs also. I had always had them behind my CLSs.

When I built by new listening room I started with them once again behind the CLSs both in the corner and just to the inside of the mains against the wall. As I started to work on the frequency response of the room with the XTZ system I found the best place for my room was about the middle of the side walls, 18" off the wall. Much better response and quality of sound. It was quite surprising that even with them much closer to me the only low end you hear is from the sound stage across the front of the room. The image location depends on where that instrument is placed in the recording.

That said, my system is set up for optimum listening at a single seat. As you move around the room you will hear places where it is bass shy and others that are over loaded. but that is the nature of most any room.

Even if your room doesn't allow you to have them permanently placed in front of your mains try it temporarily and see what a difference it makes.

Don't forget to use the old favorite "sub crawl". Place a sub in your listening position, turn the other off and crawl around with your ears as close to the floor as you can. You will find places where the bass sound is much stronger. That will be the favorable locations for you to locate your Depths.

The pictures of my room don't reflect the current location of my subs. I need to take new pics.

depth position.jpgdual epth no eq.jpg
Two pics = thousands words :)

Strangely, I wasn't able to get such nice FR with dual Abyss.

Last edited:
Great result! Some of us would be happy with that even with lots of smoothing or heavy duty bass trapping.
Typically over here we have peaks and valleys with over 10dB variance.

Thanks MPS,
It took a lot of trials and errors with REW.
My Summits FR in this range doesn't look that good and I'm forced cutting them at 80Hz.

Latest posts

Back