Amp help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDIMike

Reaction score
Hey guys, so, I'd pretty much decided on a Parasound A23. Based on reviews from a few online sites as well as talking to a few you guys. Brand new this amp is a grand.

I've recently started a new job, and my new boss is a big McIntosh guy. He texted me this afternoon asking me if I'd be interested in purchasing his MC7150 for $1400. The amp is in very good shape and has brand new lamps.

I'm using either amp to drive two ML Motion 40s. Obviously either is a huge jump over using the class D amp in my Marantz Pre/Pro. Is the (older, less powerful) McIntosh worth $400 more than the Parasound?

How do you mean? He did just say he'd let it go for $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol I'm sure, but most importantly I want the amp works best for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since both are more or less the same price. I would follow my friend Roberto’s advice and let my ears decide. If possible listen to both with Motion 40. Also keep in mind parasound is good for both films and music and is a recent design. The MC 7150 was made during 1991-1994 period. Old age may be a positive attribute for God’s most significant creation but not a positive attribute when considering durable goods not made of precious metals. I hope your boss is a decent man and will not mind if you do not opt for MC 7150.

Conclusion:
Please listen and only then reach a decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, follow 'Roberto Logic' ……….. for in the end it's what matter most !

I haven't heard both, and the difference in price and quality seriously is not worth not having a good relationship with your boss. Also, based on reports, the Mc should be better. Since it's used, you can also later sell it off at the same price if you find something better.

I'd save for an A21. It is excellent. Truly. So good I kept mine for 6 months or so LOL.

Seriously it is very, very good for a high power lowish cost amp.

Last edited:
I'd save for an A21. It is excellent. Truly. So good I kept mine for 6 months or so LOL.

Seriously it is very, very good for a high power lowish cost amp.

Cost is nearly the same for both, for him

I have heard some parasound gear. I have heard Mac gear hooked to Logan's as well I find the Mac gear more memorable. However I have not heard this model you speak of. My experience with the Mac gear would be described as more of a 'smooth , no edge, leaning just a touch on the warm side'. But I have listened to their amps/ preamps both solid state and tube.

I'm not that familiar with older Mac gear. Objectively the A21 was the best SS power amp I ever tried with my last pair of Apogees. Beating even a Rowland 301 which was very expensive when new. I tried a lot of SS gear on those speakers.

All I can say. But was paired with an EAR 868PL which is not a cheap tube preamp. Very good combo though.

So Mike can hopefully audition the Mac and the A21 (or A23) from Audio Advisors at the same time and decide which he likes best.

Sounds pretty easy.

I want the amp works best for the money.

You won't know what works best for you until you hear both amps in your system. Need to be flexible on dollars, within reason. Also, look at the long term perspective regarding future system upgrades.

Thanks a lot everyone. The A21, while all accounts say its pretty awesome, is more than double the cost of the Mac/A23. When my wife and I move into a house and I am able to separate my television / two channel system I'll look at something like that. For now we're in a pretty modest condo with the Motions, which I do love but definitely need more power.

From what I'm seeing $1200 for a nearly perfect MC7150 is a hellova buy. I've asked him to demo the amp, so I'm hoping that becomes pretty definitive. I can use it to drive these speakers which will likely become office / bedroom speakers and get replaced with something like Ethos / tube amp for my standard two channel.

Thanks a lot everyone. The A21, while all accounts say its pretty awesome, is more than double the cost of the Mac/A23. When my wife and I move into a house and I am able to separate my television / two channel system I'll look at something like that. For now we're in a pretty modest condo with the Motions, which I do love but definitely need more power.

From what I'm seeing $1200 for a nearly perfect MC7150 is a hellova buy. I've asked him to demo the amp, so I'm hoping that becomes pretty definitive. I can use it to drive these speakers which will likely become office / bedroom speakers and get replaced with something like Ethos / tube amp for my standard two channel.

Excellent idea. And by demoing it and buying it, you are showing that you are not just buying it because he is your boss while conveying him the message the two of you have similar sophisticated tastes. That will make him feel good

Back