up grade power cord for clsiiz ???????????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattner

Reaction score
Im interested in perhaps a power cord upgrade on my clsiiz ,will it matter ? and what cord will give me more bang for the buck ??? price range around $70-$100 dollars ,thx and happy holidays to all :music::D:D

Hola Fattner. I do not think that the power cord on your CLSIIZ matters. Why? Because the need of a power cord is only for the bias voltage, and what it drains from the AC wall, is less than 2Watts! per speaker. On the amplifier is another thing. It drains a lot of current and you can listen sometimes a huge difference, specially at the bass, due to the ability to be able to supply all the current (wattage) necessary on demand by the amp.
You could buy other option for your speaker cables. Silver is good usually for Martin Logan. And there is a product made by DHLabs, that it is not too expensive, and you can tell easy the difference. The model is T-14. It is made with a heavy silver coat over copper. This bring its price down, and the quality of the sound is impressive.

With the power cords, try them first. And if you could hear a difference for better, then go for them. In my case, I did not hear any benefit when I did try it. Perhaps you could. Happy listening!

Hi fattner,

Agree with my friend regarding his recommend of DH Labs.

Regarding PC for the CLS's, Id give it a try.

Recommend calling Audio Advisors (800.942.0220) and order the Pangea AC-14. Have a sale on these items and you can get a 1.5m for $40 and a 3m for $60.

Assuming the 1.5m works, that's $80 for the pair and they have a 30 day risk free audition.

Nothing to lose except return ship costs.

Gordon

I'm in agreement with Gordon on this one. I use a set of Tara Labs AC cables on my CLS IIz's and do believe there is a bit of an improvement over the stock cord. I recently took advantage of the same sale Gordon is mentioning at Audio Advisors and picked up a few of the Pangea AC-14se cables and they sound great for the money.

I would recommend the power cable designed for CLX.

First, it is specially designed by Martin Logan for full range Electrostatic loudspeakers. I assume idea because sold with CLX, again i assume sold with CLX.

Second, in a capitalist economy most products improve with passage of time due to research and development. I would maintain it is reasonable to assume CLX cable is an improvement over CLS2z cable. The power cable is 10 feet long and reasonably thick.

Finally, I do have experience using this cable with CLS for the approx. past 4 years. A point to note is that the power cable I replaced was approx. 22 years old and was there on purchase in 1995 of 1988 loudspeakers. The improvement was audible. There was improvement in low frequency reproduction and overall sound was slightly louder.

Conclusion:
CLX cable will make a difference but not a big difference. Highly recommended by me if still at its original price of $150. If price has doubled then try audio advisor Pangea cable for i think has good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fattner,

Agree with my friend regarding his recommend of DH Labs.

Regarding PC for the CLS's, Id give it a try.

Recommend calling Audio Advisors (800.942.0220) and order the Pangea AC-14. Have a sale on these items and you can get a 1.5m for $40 and a 3m for $60.

Assuming the 1.5m works, that's $80 for the pair and they have a 30 day risk free audition.

Nothing to lose except return ship costs.

Gordon

Good call, Gordon. Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered enough for all my components.

I would recommend the power cable designed for CLX even if it is minimally above your budget, that is $50 over budget.

I strongly suspect that the CLX PC is a OEM product and has little to do with the performance requirements / sound quality of that particular speaker.

Dear friends...what I love of this forum, is that you can agreed or disagreed on something. I have to be honest. I did try power cords for my CLSIIz and truly, I did not hear any improvement or better definition in my overall sound. I asked Jim Power at that time regarding this, and what he said to me, is what I am saying to you. I could think that perhaps in some of your areas, the AC line could be dirty than mine, here in Costa Rica, and this dirt is filtered by the power cable:confused:. Of course, it is better to have a better product in the system, even it is not making a difference or my ears are not aware of the improvement. In digital components, good quality of power cords is a must, also at the preamplifiers and power amps. It is very easy to tell the difference. I am green of envy:cool:, because you can tell! I remember that I only dedicate about 10 days to the power AC cables to my CLSs at that time, and Jim Power explanation was very good about why I could not tell the difference. Perhaps, and this is what I believe, my ears are not that sensible to those changes. (Still green Tim and Gordon:eek:)...I am going to put some Transparent cables that I am not using, which are very good on amplifiers. The rule is: it is better to have good components and interconnects, than perhaps there is a compromise, and you are not aware of it. Good lesson today...thanks my friends. Happy listening!:rocker:

I strongly suspect that the CLX PC is a OEM product and has little to do with the performance requirements / sound quality of that particular speaker.

I do not know what you mean by "OEM". Could you please tell me what it stands for. I am assuming the power cable is delivered with CLX loudspeakers. Written on it is Martin Logan. Is effective in my system and apparently seems high quality for me to suspect is built in USA. Even if it is manufactured in East Asia its production, seems to me, is relatively low tech, low complexity of product and people therefore can do a reasonably good job of manufacturing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola Fattner. I do not think that the power cord on your CLSIIZ matters. Why? Because the need of a power cord is only for the bias voltage, and what it drains from the AC wall, is less than 2Watts! per speaker.

Agree with Roberto here. It's not even in the signal path.

If you've got money burning a hole in your wallet, spend it somewhere else.

Thanks again to all who responded , I will save my money and buy vinyl !! Lol got to love vinyl baby happy holidays to all

I do not know what you mean by "OEM". Could you please tell me what it stands for. I am assuming the power cable is delivered with CLX loudspeakers. Written on it is Martin Logan. Is effective in my system and apparently seems high quality for me to suspect is built in USA. Even if it is manufactured in East Asia its production, seems to me, is relatively low tech, low complexity of product and people therefore can do a reasonably good job of manufacturing.

Hola...OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture. It is made by other company, like the trays in the CD players. In the high-end goods, usually most Brands, use OEM for their products. Just to name a few: Mark Levinson, Krell, Classe, Bel Canto, Audio Research, Cary Audio, Bryston, and many others use OEM. Martin Logan does not make their AC cables. They are OEM. Happy listening!

Thank you my friend for explaining.

What this means is someone makes the PC for ML, puts ML's name on it and then supplies to ML. ML adds their "mark up" to the cable and then sells it.

Unknown as the amount ML adds to their costs.

Thank you my friend for explaining.

What this means is someone makes the PC for ML, puts ML's name on it and then supplies to ML. ML adds their "mark up" to the cable and then sells it.

Unknown as the amount ML adds to their costs.

Hola Gordon...some time ago, I did sell here interconnects, balanced and RCAs, speaker banana connectors with our Company name. To do it, it was not too expensive, if the quantity order was ok...and my partner did it. Believe me, just pennies, depending on the order. These Asians are offering good products and a very fair price. Sometimes, just to have the order, the company's logo is free of charge...this is called: Competition my dear friend! Happy listening!

Many cases the manufacturer only does assembly not actual manufacturing from scratch. They can even outsource everything from engineering to stock keeping.

The cheapest cord I found that had any resolution, PRAT, and decent balance was the Granite Audio 555, which I tried only because I started with cheap cords and I had an extra pair laying around. I did not expect that they would be better than the Audience or the Transparent reference ss. I tried more than ten (and you can ask what I tried). Now I settled on the Kubala Sosna emotions that are nearly $700 each used in two meter lengths. They don't mute the upper range like the Purist cords, but they do offer more across the board than the Granite Audio 555. Second favorite were the Nordost Valhallas but they were a little thin compared to the emotions.

It really does help to have the best possible electricity feeding the speakers.

I have a friend solder and reterminate all kinds of cords. I feel it makes a big difference if the speaker and ss setup is provided treated electrcitity and only because the panels are just so transparent and fast when given the opportunity.

Sorry to digress, but to add my observation, if you took just about any power cord and reterminated it with an appropriate IEC or 15 amp male plug, get an end that is Rhodium plated. There is no limit to how many times within the power chain that a rhodium plated device helps with transparency and inner detail. It even affect my common 10AWG cords. Using a rhodium plated outlet like the Oyaide R1 makes a difference too. I have been using Furutech but it is the rhodium that matters and I think the terminations might matter more than the conductor wire.

I did the same with powered monitors and box speakers setups, but the panels expose more detail than other setups I have tried.

Last edited:
Back