Digital Audio Player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterMechanico

Reaction score
I'm looking at some recommendations for a Digital Audio Player that will power my Audeze LCD-2 headphones. My budget is $400.00.

I've been looking at offerings from Fiio, Sony, and Pono Player. I have also been looking at using a Samsung Android Tablet so I can use Spotify around the house. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Friend-O's

Hi Justin. The LCD-2's impedance is 70 ohms. Low but not underground. Volume output is satisfactory with my BB Q10 and an IPOD shuffle, no less. Forgot to mention that I'm averse to all Apple products. Their software causes Temper Tantrums :mad:. I'm leaning toward picking up an Android Tablet and going from there. I can decide on a portable DAC/Amp afterward I suppose.

I have also picked up a Fiio E07 Andes portable headphone AMP/DAC. From the 3 hours that I've used it, I can tell you that it sounds like I paid $110.00 for it.lol. Oh well. You get what you pay for. The Samsung GalaxyTAB4 sounds very nice on its' own though. It has enough power to drive the LCD-2's to acceptable levels while maintaining good, clean sound with plenty of bass and no glare on the top end. The Spotify app is seamless, and the service has a great catalog. Unfortunately, due to some issue about $700k per month in royalties not being adequate, Taylor Shwift pulled her music from the service. Shoot, you know? I know you all are the biggest fans...:rolleyes:

My iPhone 4 used to drive my AKG702s well. My Google Nexus 4 is hopeless at that impedance. Looks like the Fiio is too. I did try to say...:D

I have a Sound Blaster E5 DAC/headphone amp with aptX Bluetooth for Xmas::) Gonna use that in car, though, into the AUX input of the stereo,

I think you may be able to use an Audioquest Dragonfly with a Samsung tablet. That would make it one of the best portable sources available.

Adam, that's a great idea. I'll look into it. The Dragonfly is comparatively inexpensive. When I get some time, i'll figure out how to get digital audio out of the tablet, then go from there.

Thanks!

I have also picked up a Fiio E07 Andes portable headphone AMP/DAC. From the 3 hours that I've used it, I can tell you that it sounds like I paid $110.00 for it.lol. Oh well. You get what you pay for. The Samsung GalaxyTAB4 sounds very nice on its' own though. It has enough power to drive the LCD-2's to acceptable levels while maintaining good, clean sound with plenty of bass and no glare on the top end. The Spotify app is seamless, and the service has a great catalog. Unfortunately, due to some issue about $700k per month in royalties not being adequate, Taylor Shwift pulled her music from the service. Shoot, you know? I know you all are the biggest fans...:rolleyes:
Who is this "Taylor Shwift"? :)

Back