Active Crossover with odyssey? advice needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffrie

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Has anyone done this mod ? Thinking of trying it out but have
some reservations with regards to the rear woofer of the Odyssey.
Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Oops I'm sorry going active crossover I mean. Perhaps it far
more complicated then what I think it is

Thanks again

You could use 3 channels and drive each element by separate channel. I would keep original high pass filter for panel or make 100% sure you don't saturate step-up transformer.

Hi MPS, Julian

Mps your suggestion would mean that I still have to maintain the passive crossover
& run tri amp. Could you kindly enlighten me about saturating the transformer
comment pls. Julian reading your vista mod you too have maintain the original
high pass passive crossover, is this correct ? Apologies guys, this is my first
esl speaker so trying to understand its inner workings

thanks again

Read through my thread carefully. The details may not be the same for your Odysseys, but the idea is. I had begun by by-passing the woofer crossover using MiniDSP PWRIce 250 plate amps (2 channel, 250 watt per/ 1 channel, 450 watt). The resulting improvement encouraged me to do the same with the panel crossover by running the plate amps as 2 channel amps powering the whole speaker. My Vistas are fully active. Yours Odysseys are a three way designr, so it may be a little trickier working out the crossover points, but not impossible.

You'll need 6 channels of DSP amplification, or 6 separate channels of amplification and a Digital Signal Processor like this one: http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-4x10-hd
One great benefit to going with DSP is the ability to use room correction software.

May I ask what your motivation is for this project?

Last edited:
Hi Julian

Thanks for the reply. For a start I have a pair of Adam active speakers,
they sound so dynamic & effortless hence . Besides I love to thinker.
Perhaps I might try with keeping the rear woofer passive crossover
first & take it from there. What does saturating of the transformer
made by MDS mean ? Thought the step up trans is just to bias up
the panel.

Many thks again

You could use 3 channels and drive each element by separate channel. I would keep original high pass filter for panel or make 100% sure you don't saturate step-up transformer.
I agree with these suggestions.
It's the inductor in series with each woofer in the passive xo of the two woofers (and then paralelled with each other) that makes Odyssey a miserable load for the amp. But you can leave the eq and xo alone for the ESL...

Back